• In the Spotlight:

does being baptized wipe you of all of your previous sins?

ok so i know baptized wipes you of the isn we were born with. but my question is when someone is baptized later on in life and not early at birth, does that mean any sins they committed before their baptism are also wiped...or do they need to confess those to a priest still and do penance?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think a lot congregational leaders will get the adult to go through a repentance and preparation for baptism process first.

...and then it's supposed to wipe the slate clean for them.
    Anonymous

• any idea what that repentance and prep process is?
    i takled to a priest today and he told me about a group for adults that i would go thru but i cant do much right now cause im leaving the country in 3 weeks so right now im kinda in limbo so i cant get all the details as fast as i would like.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• its called the rcia
    moki1984

• I think it's different by congregation. I'm not Catholic, so I'm not sure what yours would involve.

Anonymous

• congregation - I meant denomination.
    Anonymous

• Moki RCIA starts in September or October--it is the classes you take to become Catholic. These classes will prepare and help you make the choice to become or not become Catholic. If you make the choice to become Catholic you will have a chance to learn about all the sacraments. There were a few in the class that did not become Catholic there were also a few that were baptised Catholic but never went back to church since.

drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 10:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Baptism doesn't wipe away anything. It just shows the congregation that you have accepted Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour. The only way to be forgiven for your sins is to ask Jesus to forgive you. That is what He died for. He rose again so we could have victory over death an the grave. When you sin, you ask for forgiveness. Once your get saved, again this is by accepting Jesus for who He is, then you get baptised. You only need to do this once. IF you feel you need to do it more than that, then Jesus would have had to die over and over again too and that did not happen.

There are a lot of priest out there who are going to have alot of explaining to God for what they have caused their congregations to believe in. But it is really a persons responsibility to know the Bible for themselves that way when the preacher or priest says something wrong, they will know it. Just accept Christ and ask Him to forgive.
    Necie11

Answer by Necie11 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• oh your original question, from my understanding baptism will wash away all sins, however, you will also get a chance to go to confession during RCIA classes.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 10:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• if its starts in sep or octorber then ill be making it in time in germany. we arrive the beginning of august. i wont have any of my household goods and be living in an apartment with military furniture and absolutely nothing electronic..no tv..no computer...no microwave haha. have to wait 3 montsh for our goods. so i guess its a good time to start it. ill have nothing to distract me
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• "Necie11-There are a lot of priest out there who are going to have alot of explaining to God for what they have caused their congregations to believe in."

The priest didn't cause me to believe anything! I read the bible, prayed and studied many other religions. I made the choice to be Catholic and I made the choice to believe. honestly it wasn't the priest who swayed me. I returned to the church after a few healthy debates on cafemom lead me to a better understanding of the true teaching of the church.

word up---RCIA classes are not taught be the priest in my part of the country.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 10:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2009