my baby is 3 weeks old. we go to the local park daily for a walk. it is fairly shady, but should I put sunblock on her arms, legs, and face when we go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Anytime you go outside with her! Anyone can get a burn even on an overcast day! When I was in the military, I got burnt in January!
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 10:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would just because if he were to get burnt it is horrible! I forgot to put sunblock on my 2 year old a week ago and she got burnt and I cried and felt like the most worst mom in the world, she hurt so bad, and cried and couldn't move. I have been putting Alvera and lotion on her everyday. I will never forget the sun block again.

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• call your pedi it is my understanding you are not supposed to sunscreen on a baby under 6 months and after that you are supposed to use a sunblock like nutrogena for babies (it comes in the fabulous easy to apply stick) until she reaches 6 months do the sun hats and sun glasses and lightweight light colored clothing that covers her arms adn legs or a receiving blanket. Keeping her covered is you best line of defense until she is old enough to wear sunscreen
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Every bottle of sunscreen I've read, and everyone I've talked to, has said you shouldn't put sunscreen on a baby younger than six months. You're supposed to keep them properly shaded and hydrated until they reach six months of age.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• No! You're baby is too young for sunblock and even bug repellant. But, you can use zinc oxide-which is just diaper rash cream. However, I would just keep your precious LO covered with shade.
    Anonymous