HOW ON EARTH do I put my nine month old to bed without tantrums?

Since he was 5 months old my baby has fought going to bed. Nothing seems to work. I try a routine, favorite bedtime things, a lullaby cd, and a bottle. I try to rock him but he won't let me. I am so tired of the screaming because at this point he will scream for an hour to try to get out of going to bed. Other than at bedtime he is perfectly pleasant child but the whole resisting sleep with screaming thing is driving me over the edge. I hate listening to him scream. ANY advice would be great

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 10:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have any young children at home anymore,and I never had a major problem when I did. But I've watched a show on " Nanny 911" where most parents do have big problems with this.
    Through my job [I work with special needs ] and watching her I've learned that you need to TOTALY ignore any negetive behaviors. Do not respond to them at all when your child is acting in a way you don't approve. But on the same token as soon as they are doing an appropriate behavior give them all the attention you can.
    Nanny had the parents put the child in bed then sit on the floor with your back to them [ not directly near them ] . Do not look at them, talk to them or respond to anything they do. If or when they get out of the bed, say nothing , no eye contact, just place them back in bed and return to your place on the floor.
    It really stressed the parents out , but it worked. Good luck.
    momof3t

Answer by momof3t at 10:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I agree with this, also you may just need to let him cry it out. It is really hard, but it only takes a few times, and it works. For my little one, who is now 5 months, I used the methods I learned in a book called "Preparation for Parenting" by Gary and Anne Marie Ezzo. It is a wonderful book that explains all about how infants learn, and how to get them to sleep so that they build good habits that will last throughout their life. I started reading this book when my daughter was 3 1/2 mos. old and within a week she was sleeping from 8 pm to 7 am, and is able to soothe herself back to sleep at night.
    The key is to go on a schedule that includes eating, awake time, and sleep- in that order, so food is not associated with sleep.
    When/if you do let him cry, go 10-15 mins, check on and reassure him, then leave the room, repeat until he's asleep.- hang in there, it works!
    Good luck, and remember, it won't be like this forever : )
    Kylies_mommy72

Answer by Kylies_mommy72 at 12:55 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I also wanted to add that it may be easier to either try this at nap time or put him to bed before you plan on going to bed. That way you are not trying to do this while you are both exhausted. This helped me out a lot!
    Kylies_mommy72

Answer by Kylies_mommy72 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2009