Do you have to use the baby detergent or can you use the regular kind?

My mom says that you dont have to but my mother in-law says that you do. What about just using the regular kind just not as much of it? Im so confused. I have the baby detergent but im just wondering what other moms do. My son is just over a month old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't ever have to use the baby detergent, I never did, the smell makes me sick. You don't have to wash baby's clothes seperately either.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I started off with Dreft and then went to regular and my son was fine with it.
    Dylansmom32509

Answer by Dylansmom32509 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• They always say to use baby detergent because the babys skin is so sensitive. I started using regular when my babys were about a year old

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• For the first couple months I would use the baby detergent or at least any kind free of dyes and perfumes. It won't kill them to use the regular kind but some newborns have really sensitive skin and might develop a rash so for now I'd be safe rather than sorry.
    Anonymous

• I don't use specifically the baby detergent, but I do use a fragrance free detergent for all the baby stuff. At one month, you just don't know if he's going to be allergic to anything, or if his skin is going to be sensitive. I dont do separate baby stuff loads either - I just toss the baby clothes with our regular clothes and use the fragrance free stuff (no dryer sheet or softener, either). I'll do this for a few months, and then probably go back to our regular detergent.
    KarenAmbrose

Answer by KarenAmbrose at 10:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• DREFT. has lots of chemicals and fragances added, they sell you on it becuase its " fopr babies" ive never used it when they were little i jsued free&clear... then tried 1 piece of clothing in our detergent and if no rash i just washed it all with normal detergent....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I use baby laundry detergent, or All Free and Clear. I think it depends on the baby though, my baby has super sensitive skin and has a reaction when coming in contact with clothes, blankets, etc. that have been washed in regular detergent. you might be able to test it out when your baby is a few months old just to see how he reacts to it. My daughters rash was all over her back, arms and legs,but did not effect her breathing... you will probably be able to tell by then how sensitive your son's skin is by then too.
    Kylies_mommy72

Answer by Kylies_mommy72 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Reg detergent is just fine....that baby stuff is a waste of money. Just don't use fabric softener on baby's sleepware. It kills the flame resistance.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I have never wasted my money buying the expensive "baby detergent". From day one with both of my girls, I used the regular detergent that I have always used, and they were both just fine.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I use Seventh Generation. Safe for everyone :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2009