do you swaddle an infant every night for bed or is asleeper outfit ok? if you swaddle, when do you stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it depends on what teh baby prefers. Ours liked to be swaddled until he was old enough to bust out of it (about 5 months) if the swaddle doesnt seem to make a difference in how your baby sleeps a sleeper oufit is fine
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We swaddled my daughter every night for about 6 months. She then started not liking to be swaddled and wanted to be able to roll around. It was the only way she would sleep for awhile though. Go by the cues your little one send out - if he/she sleeps well unswaddled then don't worry about it but if swaddling helps then by all means keep up the swaddling!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 10:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We still swaddle at 4 1/2 months along. I put her in a long sleeve onsie and swaddle her. She seems to like it still so we will continue it. Its part of our night time routine.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I started loosening DD's swaddle at 4 months. I just didn't wrap her as tight, by 5 months I had quit all together.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I just used sleepers for my girls after the1st month or so. I was too afraid that they'd somehow get the blanket loose, and suffocate. They say you shouldn't have blankets and things in the crib/bassinet with infants because of SIDS. I guess once they start moving around, you should stop swaddling.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Depends on the baby. My first couldn't stand to be swaddled, my second wouldn't sleep unless he was swaddled. You stop it when the baby doesn't want it anymore. My second is now 20 months and likes to sleep in a sleep bag yet, because, except for the arms, it's almost like being swaddled.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:11 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My third child and fourth child loved to be swaddled. I swaddled him every night (even naps) until he got big enough where he would poke his arms out (that told me he had had enough).
    momof4greatkidz

Answer by momof4greatkidz at 12:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Swaddling is recommended that the baby will sleep better and feel as if it is snuggled up inside your womb. That does not have to be done all the time unless your baby is a cryer and that helps soothe. Good luck. Basicly stop swaddling when the baby is ready to have a passifier that helps to soothe the baby later.
    lilmomma998

Answer by lilmomma998 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I swaddled my baby until he was about 3 months. I used the Halo SleepSack Swaddle which was so easy to use and I didn't have to worry about the blanket coming unwrapped. After he outgrew swaddling, I moved onto the regular SleepSack (without the swaddle) and still use it (my son is nearly a year).
    ksams

Answer by ksams at 10:57 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I did the same as ksams, although I didn't use a Halo swaddle on my little guy, I used a Cocooi and then used transitioned to a sleepsack As you can see, I'm a loyal Merino Kids fan!!! I highly recommend moving to a sleepsack. My little guy loves it, and we use it in the car when the weather gets colder.

mynaturalbaby

Answer by mynaturalbaby at 9:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009