Small child getting picked on?

My son is 5.5 and starting kindergarten in the fall. He is almost 2 inches shorter than his sister (who just turned 4). Last year the kids had started to pick on him in pre-k and we changed to a church school for unrelated reasons. But he will be in public school for kindergarten. What can I tell him to say or do? He is so sensitive about it already. He is constantly trying to prove he is fastest or strongest, maybe compensating? I almost think the kids do it more because of his reaction of getting sad or angry. Also, I need to get him to be happy with the way he is, but nothing I try seems to help. Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• rent movie called meet dave with eddi murphy a boy in the movie has a major issue with being picked on cuz he is short it's a cute movie and you never know it might help, good luck and I'm sorry I don't know why kids have to do that
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You could get him involved in a sport that he likes. He will make friends and build self confidence. AYSO is a good association that focuses on teamwork and self esteem.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 4:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• There are many good books on bullying and teasing which would be helpful for him and you to read together and then talk about it. Here are some http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=8   Read the description and reviews to see which ones look best for you.  He will need to find the solution that works for HIM, but I would check back with him periodically to see what is or is not working.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 7:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2009