so do i have this correct........catholic saving vs protestant saving. is this how it goes?

ok ...am i correct with this? with protestants they say if you believe, then thats it...your saved. good to go wa la...do whatever you want, just believe and say forgive me and you go to heaven

with catholic you have to believe AND you have to confess any sins after your baptism and receive penance to show your truly sorry for your sin and not just skating by saying i believe because your afraid of hell

is this in basic lamens terms....correct?

i have a feeling some bad mojo might come from the answers in this. im not saying either way is right..i have a personal opinion which is better but ill keep that out. i just want to make sure i have the basic gist correct here.

again...IM ASKING..not sayiing either one is better...so no hatorade up in here lol.

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, pretty much, but some denominations of the Protestant sect feel that you only have so many 'mistakes" you can make before you lose your chance. At least, from what have been taught. The ones I have been a part of have said that you need to at least "try" to be at least a less sinful person.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• not exactly right but I agree bad mojo on the way LOL so I am going to put the kids to bed and come back later and see what all was said.

Here is a CD you can get all about confession for a few buck(I Think it is a dollar per CD)
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 10:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• well if its not right..then correct it?
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• In-General, Protestants go by "Faith alone," "Grace alone" and "Scripture Alone". (I've taken those three simple "points" of explanation from Lutheranism BTW).

"Scripture alone" means they are protestant of any Catholic tradition that they feel does not have a 100% Biblical core and/or has no purpose (so what they're protestant of differs from denomination to denomination depending on their interpretation of scripture ect).

I am just one of these denominations (Presbyterian).

We have one two sacraments because only two sarcaments have Biblical poof where Jesus said "do this." These are: Communion and Baptism. We believe neither save your soul but are rather symolic and invocations of the Holy Spirit to dwell with us.

"Faith alone" and "Grace alone" can be explained by Ephesians 2:28 "By grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works lest any man should boast."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• kk
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

_____________
    later after the kids get to bed.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 11:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• umm yea
    you said it wasnt right.....care to elaborate?
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• "And no, we don't just go and do whatever we want" well i hope not lol. that generally applies to the ppl who lived....less than moral lives..then on their death bed in a hospital or prison they suddently "find god" right before they die and ask for forgivness...in other words they are doing it out of fear
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• (cont.) in other words, it doesn't matter how much you say or do, it is your faith in the grace of God (Jesus' sacrifice) that saves you. Our works are as filthy rags before him (Isaiah 64:6).

We don't believe in confessing our sins to anyone but directly to God as it is Christ who makes intercession for us.

And no, we don't just go and do whatever we want :-) Christ tells us that we are known by our spiritual fruit that we put forth and that it is our good works that witness to others most. Doing good in his name is how we avoid "taking the Lord's name in vain." Jesus also said "if you love me, keep my commandments." Our good works show our love for Jesus Christ. They strengthen our faith and make our faith evident but they do not save us.

This is JUST my belief. I can't speak for other Protestants or Catholics either. I'm not here to debate anyone just answering the question :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2009