How do you know if you have breast/nipple damage from pumping?

Our daughter was in the NICU for a week after she was born and I had to pump while I was at home and bring the milk to the hospital. It worked great at first, but my milky supply seemed to decrease. I have been using The First Years Mi Pump and started to experience slight pain in my breast and often my nipples. This is my first child so I assumed it was normal, but now that she has come home and latched on, the same pain exists. My daughter is 4wks old, and I pump after short breastfeeding sessions to empty them fully.

Also, I feel as though my pump may have caused a milk supply shortage. Could this be due to breast tissue/nipple damage from the pump? I am thinking of contacting a lactation specialist from the hospital, but I thought I would see if anyone here has an answer!

addies_mom_2009

Asked by addies_mom_2009 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Like above, if they are red and sore when you are not pumping or feeding it could be damage.. other than that nursing my son hurt very badly for about 2 weeks until my nipples toughened up. The lactation specialist at the hospital told me to rub some of my breastmilk into the nipples and let them dry before putting the bra back on.. it works better than anything I had bought.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• 4 weeks is still pretty early. I remember the pain lasting longer than that. But it does get better. And you should definitely call a lactation consultant. They're always very helpful.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2009