Turned off by my doctor!!

I just started seeing my ob when I found out I was pregnant...I don't think I like him! I just don't know what it is...can't pin point it. He's very down to earth..a bit too much for me. I've always liked a serious, no nonsense doctor..not too chatty. He comments on my toe nail polish, tells me I have a nice smile, etc.I'm at the point where I should be seeing him every 2 weeks and he said to come in every 3 weeks since everything is fine..."Not to waster my time". Today I went in because I was in pain, lots of pressure and as I told him he made a joke "well I get a lot of pressure at home". Am I being an emotional pregnant mommy? Or would this make you uncomfortable too? I'm thinking of changing doctors..

NJMom2Tyler

Asked by NJMom2Tyler at 10:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-15 Credits)
  • I think that he would bother me too. The last thing I would want while I'm hormonal is a smart ass ob lol.
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• If you aren't comfortable then definitely change doctors!!! I loved my OB/GYN. Before I was pregnant, when I started going for pap smears I went to 5 or 6 different ones before I found the one I liked. Just because he is seeing you now doesn't mean you're stuck with him :) Keep looking. You'll find the right one :) GL!!!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I like this type of a Dr more than one who is a prude who acts like they are not human.

I had one Dr before that was like talking to a brick wall. His answers were robotic and seemed as though he was just spewing info he had said a million times and that he really wasnt listening to me.

I like a personable funny Dr.

The one who delivered my babies was sort of like yours, she was a female though. We were almost like girlfriends. I felt very at ease and comfortable with her b/c she didnt seem uppity.

But people like different types of Dr's....if you are very far along, I would worry about changing....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My OB is now on house arrest for killing her BF mother with morphine. But I'd change Dr if your not comfortable.
    Anonymous

• You need to do whatever feels right for you - if you don't feel right with this doctor than you should ask your friends for some recommendations (that's how I found my doc who I love)...Whatever the reason, he just may not be right for you.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• that would drive me nuts the only thing I want to hear out of my OB's mouth is how I'm and my baby is doing and what not
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would change doctors. Thats how mine was at the end of my pregnancy. I had to change because we moved with the military. I would go in for pre-term labor and he would joke about it i would get so mad! And when i went into labor at 34 weeks he was joking around and they had to transfer me to another hospital an hour away when i was in active labor. I found out when i got to the other hospital that i had a placental abruption(sp?) and had to have an emergency c-section. The doctors told my DH that either me or my son might not make it because i had alot of blood loss already and my son wasnt getting the oxygen and blood he needed. If my other doctor wasnt just joking around he would have known that this was wrong before i was transferd and the doctor told me that this could have been seen weeks before because they said they could tell it started weeks before. And they did an US a week before i went into labor and didnt see it!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My doctor is similar he's a Korean older man with a thick accent. At first I had to get used to some of his comments like for example last month when he checked the baby's heartbeat he asked me to pull my shorts down (which I did) He then says to me "more more....don't be stingy". My husband was there with me so I didn't feel so uncomfortable. He then looked at my husband and asked if that was the appropriate way to say it (ha ha ha). So I pretty much I got used to his humor.  He delivered my daughter and I really liked how I could always get a hold of him when I needed to. He was very helpful with my miscarriage as well and called me a couple of times after I miscarried to make sure I was doing ok.   I think some of us women when we are pregnant  we may feel more vulnerable.  It's really up to you if you don't feel comfortable go ahead and find someone. Good luck!

Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 11:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• i'm like some of the others....i like a doc that is a little more "comfortable"....the other day i had an appointment with my doc and was telling him about how bad my joints hurt.....he told me "all my joints hurt too but it's because i'm old"....lol....i just laughed at him.....he did show concern and asked a couple questions.....basically if the aches and pains don't go away after delivery i may need to be tested for arthritis
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 11:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You should have a doctor that you are comfortable with! Regardless of how he presents himself (serious or joking, etc) it should be an attitude you can relate to. You are about to go through a very stressful ordeal and having a doc you are not comfortable with will only exacerbate that stress. I would search for another doctor, and fast too! Good luck :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2009