when did you let your babies try climbing stairs?

I was just wondering.. my DS is 10mo and starting to pull himself up and tries to climb. I don't allow him near the stairs but I know he needs to learn sometime, I'm just not sure when the appropriate time would be. Any advice?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 10:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are not careful, he will do it on his own with or without you! :) If you are curious to see if he can, but cautious enough, I would keep a gate on them and otherwise, let him climb them when you are RIGHT behind him. My (now 10 month old) baby started zooming up the stairs around 6-9 months. It can be very scary! If he is willing to try, let him!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• agreed better he try when you are there than when your not looking! my 1 year old is into climbing, although he prefers tables and couches to stairs~!!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My youngest is a climber, especially the stairs. Up until a couple of days ago I kept a gate on our stairs, but the second and I mean the second he sees the gate open he zooms up them. He has only fallen around 3 or 4 times and most of that was when I took the gate off the stairs. Let him try on little stairs (stairs that only have 4 or 5 stairs as apposed to 10-15 stairs), just make sure you are right behind him. See what he can do. Hope this helps
    momof4greatkidz

Answer by momof4greatkidz at 11:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My first could climb up and down stairs by 10 months. He couldn't walk yet, but he could do stairs like a pro, lol. My second was about 10 months when he started climbing up, but didn't learn down until 14 months. Now he's 20 months and just figured out how to walk down them using the railing. He spent half an afternoon last week enjoying that new skill, lol. Up and down, up and down. It was only 3 stairs with carpet at the bottom just in case, so I let him go for it.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I've never LET my daughter climb up the stairs. She just decided one day she was gonna climb all the way up. And that was that. The baby gate has been up ever since. But we do sometimes let her climb them by herself when it's bath time (bath is upstairs) and we're right behind her.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 10, 2009