suggestions please (be nice)

OK i have a 17 mo old son. I want him to be around other kids, but I don't know how to go about it. I don't have any friends with kids, nor do i have any other young kids in my family. He goes in the baby/toddler room at church every Sunday, but that's pretty much the only interaction he gets with other kids. I have tried going to the water park, but NONE of the other moms there were the least bit friendly, which apparently rubbed off on their kids. And I can't do mommy & me groups because there are only two in my town and they only meet in the mornings on weekdays and I have to work. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Daycare is a great way to socialize kids. Even if you only take them a couple of mornings per week. When my son is old enough, we plan on enrolling him in a preschool learning group, where he will learn skills early, but also be provided with a stimulating environment for socialization. So that's a possibility too. Good luck!
    FilteredThought

Answer by FilteredThought at 11:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I took my baby to the park in the evening it seems like there are more people there in the evening
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Could you post a bulletin at church and start your own group for working Moms or others who want to meet at times other than weekdays? Maybe suggest an after dinner coffee group where your kids can get together too. Start having it at a local coffee shop or in a meeting room at church. Sometimes you have to make your own community :)
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• There is a website called Meetup.com. It's free to join. It's basically for special interest groups in your area, a way to get people together. In my area, I'm a member of three, all kid related. We get together and have playdates all the time, also have moms night outs. It's a really great place to meet other moms and help your little one socialize.
    twinmama113

Answer by twinmama113 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Does your local library have a story time? sometimes they also have a craft time or other activities, especially during the summer. do you have local museums? Maybe you could set up a playdate with some friends from church that have kids in the nursery also.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Since you said you went to church, I would start there. I am a part of a group at our church. We meet once a month, usually after the service and go on picnics, childrens museums, pools, etc. It is a great way to get more involved with your church and meet some other couples. We even do a mom's night out sometimes. If you don't have one, talk to your pastor. I am sure he/she would be willing to let you start one up! Good luck!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i agree with love to teach! I take my dd whos 14 months old to a play group at the library. Its free and its a great way to meet other moms with kids your sons age! :)
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2009