Would you work a FT job outside home w/out pay?

Well, that's what's happening to thousands of PA state workers at this very moment! Gov. Rendell has once again procrastinated and isn't settling on a budget. The state workers have been "working for free" since July 1st. State workers including Dept. public welfare, state police, all departments of human services, etc. have been working without getting paid! It's outrageous! We cannot file for UC because we are employed. Many of the state workers are single parents, or couples who both work for the state - which means no income! Full time work for no pay! Gov. Rendell has told the employees to "Go get a loan" to pay our bills and living expenses. Right now loans are hard to come by not to mention a solution to the problem
Please help support the moms and dads and other PA state employees by dropping Gov. Rendell a line via the PA website or via ph. 717-787-2500.
Anyone else having this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yikes! Sorry! I assume you will get back pay?!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• wow...that sucks! is the state having money issues or is your Gov just sitting on the budget? do you have an email address for him? i cant call ppl. good luck!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Wow, no wonder my worker hasn't called me back yet...I'm sorry to hear that. I know ur hurting but I don't think I needed another reason to be pissed off at this country. I think I'll stay out of the politics discussion for a few days..God help us all
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Anyone who wants to help can e-mail Governor Ed Rendell at www.governor.state.pa.us
    There's a spot on the home page that says tell me what you think....and it's a link to an e-mail to the governor's office.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My mom is a State worker in CA and so far they are working 3 days with no pay, but yet the legislators aren't taking pay cuts or working for free.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I live in PA, and this is NOTHING NEW. In fact:

"It's not like we haven't been down this road before. Ed Rendell has missed the budget deadline every year since taking over as governor in 2003.

But there is something different about this year. Rendell is a lame duck and we are in the middle of the worst recession since World War II. Rendell has squandered most of his political capital on broken promises (property tax relief, business revitalization, health insurance for all, jobs).

Despite increasing General Fund spending by $8 billion since 2003 -- twice the rate of inflation -- Rendell's big government, tax-and-spend agenda has been a monumental failure."

I know it sucks, but you will get a retroactive paycheck for hours worked when the budget is finally passed--in the next week or two.

How this man keeps getting RE-ELECTED is beyond me! Maybe one of these days residents of PA will realize he needs to go
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:37 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• That sucks....but you know, isn't this like being a sahm????? All that work and no pay??????? (heck.... no recognition, no thanks, no NOTHING! lol).......... But back to the topic...... I really do feel for you.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Thanks for recognizing us! I have been working like this for 2 years now. We are supposed to get money to pay employees from the state...heh...not yet. Without the kindness of our board of directors donating, we'd be screwed royally. State parks, historic sites, and recreation areas get over looked to begin with ugh now this. We already lost 3 employees because there just isn't enough funds to have the position filled. I really think that people are either complete idiots or have never experienced something like this, in order to keep voting for Rendell. I have been voting against him every chance I can but I guess people are too blinded by him being an Eagles fan...heaven's Lynn Swann would have been elected.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:41 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Just think about how this feels the next time you "forget" to pay your child care provider.......If you don't have your checkbook with you, or you just bought a new truck and need to make the payment, or you just want to "hold off" until next week, or you hope I am really busy and forget to ask you, or you ask me to hold your check until Friday........WE fight this every single week, yet we still keep working and opening our homes to you wonderful children. We have fallen in love with them, after all. ~ But everyone deserves to know when they are getting their paychecks, and expects to get them on time!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 9:49 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I wouldnt work a FT job outside my home with pay..so, no not likely.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:01 AM on Jul. 10, 2009