My house is infested with fleas!

I can't bomb it because I have an young baby, so what can I do to get rid of these fleas?

Also, how much is it to take a cat to the vet for flea medicine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pets

• Hi - Oh boy - Fleas!   I can help with some natural options - they work great - and very safe around baby...

My post has a link to Critter oil and D.E. this is a natural powder from the earth:

Also, if you can give your cat a bath in dawn dish soap?  Or take the cat to the groomer for a flea dip?

natural options to control fleas:

Diatomaceous Earth - Safe around kids - must get the Human grade D.E.

SEE here:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Bulldogs-2360/2009/4/english-bulldog-ZEUS-Diatomaceous.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 2:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Oh gross get rid of the damn animal as a start.
    Anonymous

• Is the baby around the fleas?
    Anonymous

• First off, ignore Anon 29! DeFlea spray for your couch, get some flea treatment for the floor. You can get flea meds a lot cheaper from petmeds.com than you can at the vet, and it usually cost around 40$ for a 6 month treatment. One thing my exterminator suggested to me was vacuum before any treatment and immediately take the bag out to the street garbage. The bag will suck up flea eggs and cause a lot of the fleas to hatch prematurely from the vibration of the vacuum. Vacuum even if its hardwood floors! The DeFlea line of products you can get at any pet store, and it is safe to use around nursing or pregnant animals, so it should be ok around the baby. Hope all of this helps! I now have to have an exterminator come in every 2 months or so to make sure I don't get any fleas; it was a nightmare when I had a flea problem with my 4 dogs as you can imagine! Oh and IMO Advantage is better than Frontline but thats JMO!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You dont have to take your animal to the vet. Just get the shampoo and that will take care of it on your cat and get the stuff to prevent the cat from getting fles. And that should make them go away.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• you CAN bomb your house! Take the baby somewhere for the day. like, grandparents or friends. go BACK and start the bug bombs. after 3 hours, go back to the house, without the baby, and open windows, or turn back on AC, fans, and get airflow back into the house. wait at least 4 hours AFTER opening everything up to take baby back into house. ALSO be sure to COVER bassinet, swing, highchair, etc. THEN wash sheets, covers, lysol all countertops and be sure to wash all bottles and feeding utensils. it is a PAIN in the u know what, but it works. also spray the carpet with the spray and keep baby off of it unti the flea problem is gone. And basically quarentine the cat until all is well!!! (and TREAT of course. you can buy a dip yourself and do it at home)
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 12:11 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I recommend boric acid. YOu can get it in the laundry section and sprinle it around then vacuum up really well. Use on furniture, caprets, rugs, etc. I also add a little to bath water then bath my dog in it. Works well and it made his fur soft.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4755590_use-boric-acid-kill-fleas.html
    http://www.all-pets-info.com/fleacontrol/Flea-Control-With-Boric-Acid.html
    Anonymous

• I have found advantix works better for ticks and Frontline better for fleas! I use frontline on all 3 of our pets 1. 110# dog, 2. 55# Dog 3. And one big fat cat! Also if you house isn't crawling but there are a few fleas or after treating your house any stray fleas will want to be on your cat so get the med on the cat right away and it will in turn kill the fleas (fleas like to get on animals better than humans!)Also you do not have to take your cat "to"the vet to get flea meds. you just walk in and buy them Also 1800-petmeds is suppose to be cheaper and some stores carry frontline (we have a farm and country store) I will swear by frontline(have used it for years and not one flea)! Just dont bathe the animal after you apply it for at least a week also dont touch or let your baby touch the application or wash hands if in contact. It applys on the back of the neck. Also I dont think walmarts stuff works! Flea collars=allergies!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 3:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Don't forget to move the furniture when you vac....they hide under there.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• you CAN bomb your house!! I did it today.. set the bomb, go out for the day... come back and have someone stay outside with the baby for an hour while you go in and clean. Put all the bottles, nipples, stuff he/she puts in their mouth away, wash all the bedding and soft toys, vaccuum the house and furniture. There's also household flea spray that you can try, but theyr'e REALLY bad this year so don't be surprised if it doesn't work. Vets are saying they're horrendous, they must be REAL bad!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2009