Is it ok to ask my husband for money?

Ok let's face it most of us love money. But I lost my job so I'm a stay-home mom and I really want to go shopping but I don't think is fair for my husband, because its his money, and he really works hard! So should I ask for some money so I can buy myself clothes, makeup, personal stuff or not? (He buys me things I need when I tell him, but I don't want to be so abusive) So what is right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• You're a stay at home mom that's raising his child, right? You take care of the house and that in itself is a FT job. There's nothing wrong with asking him for some money to buy some things for yourself...as long as the money's available and you don't go overboard.

I've always had my own job and my own money, so I know why it may be hard for you.
    Cantstandya

Answer by Cantstandya at 11:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• After our third child, we decided that I would stay at home. This was a difficult decision for us because I made more money. I have not been working for a year now. I also have not bought anything for myself for the past year!!! This past week, I felt bad spending $8 on a T-shirt at Target. However, my husband loved it, it was a deep v-cut...you get the idea. Anyways...I finally had to get over "feeling guilty" and remind myself that being at SAHM is my new job and my husband doesn't want me looking like a slob.
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 11:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• you're a stay at home mom... you do work. I would say you should just have a talk about money in general if you don't have money in your pocket there's a problem. I stayed home with my daughter and never had money even though I could 'ask' if I needed something. I see it as an issue best talked about sooner rather than later work out your budget pay all bills see how much fun money is leftover and then split it. Also works well when both are working but one makes more than the other... like one pays 1/3 of the bills the other picks up the rest. GL
    Anonymous

• SAHM is a endless job, his your husband ask him for some money, man brings home his check I deposite it and use it anytime I need it, and if I want to buy cloths and stuff I don't really need I always call him and ask clearly out of respect but he don't care if I ask or not, he always tells me if all the bills are pain I don't care.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• What's his is yours. Your taking care of the kids and house while he's at his job. Remember, you're working too!
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 4:01 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• money is my only one true love. ha!
    ya know what, while he is out making a living, you are at home making life worth living-for him.
    it's your money too, now go get some and go shopping.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:13 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My husband and I had healthy 6 figure salaries before we had children. I quit my job to be a SAHM, but the "deal" was that he would "give me" a percentage of his take home pay that I could spend however I wanted.

I have my OWN checking/savings account separate from our joint accounts. Of course, if he, we or our children need something I pay for it, and my husband pays me back with his next check. And of course, he buys me whatever I want/need as well as the children.

We both agree that "yours, mine and our" bank accounts are a healthy way to manage our money, and we don't end up spending more than we can afford.

Now that my youngest will be starting full-day school, I will be going back to work (FT sub teacher) after being a SAHM for the past 8 years, I WANT my income to go towards our families needs first, and I have agreed to put 80% of my income in OUR joint accounts--keeping 20% for ME! It's all I really want/need.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I can't say that I agree that staying at home is a full time job. It really is too easy. I do think that since both of you made the decision to stay home,then all household income belongs to both of you. You shouldn't have to "ask" for money to take care of yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• why would you have to ask your husband for money? marriage is an equal partnership; you are not his maid or nanny.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It is totally ok to ask your hubby for money, you know him best, there is a right way to ask, of course. To get extra income, can I suggest an at home biz? I started one a few months back with 2 little ones running around! The comp I work with has just recently won an award from the BBB so it no scam! If interested in hearing more info, you can visit my website at www.beingunited.com or email me at rebeccabowen@live.com. I hope we can talk soon! Thanks
    Rebecca
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2009