how do i get my 2 year old to go to bed w. out her cup??

since she was a baby I've never given her a pacifier because i didn't want to go through the hassle of having to ween her off of it. I made sure she was off of her completelybut 10 months. Now i have this issue where she wakes up at night wanting her cup. I cant bear the crying so I give it to her. I always make it more water then juice, but Ithink its time to stop. any suggestions on how to go about doing so??

GenesisxLanee

Asked by GenesisxLanee at 11:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• off of her bottle completely**
    GenesisxLanee

Answer by GenesisxLanee at 11:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Make it all water, and then don't bother ever taking it away. My 4 year old has his "water bottle" (not an actual bottle, it's a kid's version of an adult water bottle) every night yet. And I take a glass of ice water to bed every night. Who doesn't like a sip of water on their dry mouth when they wake up at night?
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I am in the same boat with my little one. Will be interested to see what responses you receive. I give him 2 oz of juice in 8 oz of water. However, he drinks the whole thing and then goes right back to sleep, Then 3 or 4 hours later he cries for more. He wakes up 2 to 4 times during a 10 hour period. I'm exhausted and grumpy. So, like I said, I will be interested in seeing the responses you receive,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• If you don't want her to have it, stop giving her one. Problem solved.

Drinking at night is only going to make potty training that much harder.

Giving in to her when she's throwing a fit only tells her that if she cries long enough/hard enough you will always give in and give her what she wants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i have to agree with anon. if u keep giving into her when she wants her juice u will never break the problem. maybe try weening her the same way u did the bottle. if u really want to break the habbit u will suceed. i also agree with the cup of only water at night but just enough for a sip or two. maybe that way it wont be sooo hard to potty train at night. i hope i helped alittle good luck to all of u.
    tinkerbellma21

Answer by tinkerbellma21 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• The only problem with the let her cry thing is that i live with 3 other people who i have to be considerate of at 4 in the morning. She will cry for hours if i let her because I've tried. If i lived on my own then i guess that aspect of this situation wouldn't be a problem. "If i don't want her to have it then stop giving her one" ... is not problem solved. its way easier said then done. But she did have a doctors appointment yesterday and he said to just give her water. she will eventually grow out of it. so i guess i'll try that for now. thanks for the answers though.
    GenesisxLanee

Answer by GenesisxLanee at 11:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2009