Is it wrong to eat sweets but not let my kids?

I don't let my kids eat sweets like chips,cupcakes,little debbie cakes,etc except on RARE occasions like christmas,easter,their birthday,halloween, or if they go to a birthday party where sweets are present. But at home they don't get sweets normally. However if my husband or I want sweets we do eat them. Not in front of my kids but when they are not home or in bed, I eat as many sweets as I like. We have a small pantry that the kids aren't allowed in because it has our sweets in. So its not like they sit there & look at the sweets but can't touch. So I am just asking do you think its okay that I do this? I am questioning myself because my sister in-law thinks I should just let my kids eat anything they want to in the house, I'm not going to change my decisions on not letting my kids eat sweets, I just want to hear what you think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I do it all the time. Me and dh will eat ice cream and stuff after the kids go to be....lol. I feel guilty to sometimes
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I dont see anything wrong with it I eat sweets and rarely give my kids any

Just out of curiosity are your sisters in laws kids big and hyper

Anonymous

• First, if you aren't going to even think about changing your mind then why are you even asking? Personally, I think you are wrong to eat sweets but not let your kids. You don't need to let them eat sweets all the time but anything in moderation is ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It is a little selfish, because part of being a kid is eating junk food...I mean at least monthly. Why dont you start haviing a bi-weekly treat nightt, so that you all can enjoy? Instead of hiding from you kids and not allowing them in this particular pantry etc. etc. And it might be better to do this, because once they can get their hands on it, they may go to far.
    Anonymous

• I used to give my son sweets all the time and all he did was run around like a chicken with it's head cut off I realized it's a big mistake, I give one goodie usually a reward for doing his chores
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I do it!! My son && step-children do get junk food in moderation, but I eat it all the time. I am an adult, I know how I "should" eat, but my kids are still learning how to establish good eating habits. I don't feel selfish at all by doing this. My kids aren't going to be part of the statistics of overweight children in America just because I let them eat crap all the time. I don't think children should be allowed to eat whatever they want, whenever they want. They get 3 meals a day && some snacks in between. They get candy, ice cream, pie, etc. on occasion, but not daily.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• For the anom, no my SIL kids are not fat, but they have good mitabalisms (sp) so do we but I know its not healthy either way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• go sugar.free..at least for them!! it works for us!! good luck!!
    sheekjustice

Answer by sheekjustice at 12:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I have my bedtime treats after the kids are in bed...it's my reward for being a sahm and well there's no money for a spa.... so a sundae or snickers will have to do for now
    Also my husband works outdoors and relies on a few treats during his coffee breaks. I stash them in areas around the house so the kids don't eat them...The stuff is spendy and my husband has a fear of fruit and the kids don't.....nothing to be guilty about here
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I was always a health food nut by day but secretly ate sweets after the kids were in bed. It was a bad habit but I know my kids eat better because of it. I still have to have a little piece of chocolate most days (I have actually gone to Russel Stover Sugar Free dark chocolate) and that now usually satisfies my sweet tooth.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 3:41 AM on Jul. 10, 2009