Am I suppose to go to the hospital if my mucus plug comes out?

I'm prego with my second child but i'm cluesless as to when to go to the hospital, with my 1st child my water broke and i went to the hospital and they kept me. But this time is different, I was dilated 2centimeters when i went to the doctor on the 30th but since then i've been having alot of pressure dwn there but nothing has happened. So back to the ? should i go to the hospital if my mucus plug comes out?

hotmamma09

Asked by hotmamma09 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes
    Anonymous

• I would talk to the doctor about it. Sometimes the plug will fall out but it will regenerate. Do I think you need to go to the hospital? no. If it is the mucous plug you would still have up to 3 weeks before going into labor.. It can wait til morning :) GL!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• no, losing your mucus plug is not a sign of labor. It is a sign that labor will be coming soon. If you do not go into labor soon, your body will regrow the mucus plug. Which will cause you to lose more plugs. This is completely normal. I lost 4 with my first pregnancy and 2 with my second.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• what?? no! please disregard the person who said yes. you go to the hospital if your water breaks or if you are having consistant contractions (like every 5 minutes or so - sooner if you live more than a few minutes from the hospital). your mucous plug can come out days or even weeks before you go into labor! good luck :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• No. Your mucus plug can come out a good while before you go into labor. And then it can regenerate and you can lose it again. There's no reason to go to the hospital.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I lost mine a few weeks before I delivered. just tell your doctor at your next appointment they will probably check you.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I lost mine a number of times, loosing it just means labor COULD begin in the next 48 hours, if your labor doesn't start, it will regenerate, and you could loose it again, some people never even know when they loose there's. so NO, do not go to the hospital unless your water is broken, or your 4 or so Min's apart in contractions. best of luck!

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 12:15 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• stepmom929 is right
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• just watch for signs of actual labor. with my twins I lost my plug at 31 weeks. It was my first pregnancy so I called the dr and he said it was fine and the body continually made the mucus plug. Well, 52 hours later one of my waters broke!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 12:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• No.
    WorldWiseWoman

Answer by WorldWiseWoman at 12:58 AM on Jul. 10, 2009