I can't get my 5 month old to sleep on her back.

Since she was just a month old she would not fall asleep until she was on her stomach. She forbides to sleep on her back. She has been fine so far but I just heard about an 11 month old child dying while sleeping on his stomach. What do I do?!

CourtneyAnn8690

Asked by CourtneyAnn8690 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry, they used to advise mothers to have babies sleep on their stomachs when I was a baby and plenty of us made it. Your baby will be fine, I dont think trying to make her sleep on her back will work either.
    Anonymous

• Lay her on her back and let her cry it out. If she flips herself onto her tummy don't move her, but check on her now and then.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Both of my kids were the same way. But my Mom finally convinced me to do it. They started sleeping really well after I did. Before, they would wake up numerous times a night. More than normal. So from 6 weeks on, they slept on their stomachs (I watched them like a hawk, checking to make sure they were breathing and everything) I could barely get any sleep. But after about 2 weeks of that I realized they were fine. My son is now 3 years old and my daughter is 19 months. My son hates to sleep on his tummy now and my daughter favors her left side. and still never their backs. Something else had to be going on with that child other than just sleeping on their stomach. Someone must have done something to that child or had a medical condition.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• its usually ok as long as they can pick up their head. and dont put pillows or blankets in her/his crib. as soon as my daughter could roll over, she started sleeping on her stomach. at first i freaked, but then i figured, if she's comfy, she will sleep better! and she can pick up her head..... plus i was kind of glad because she threw up a lot and so, sleeping on her back scared me too!
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 11:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'm not a doctor, but I did have kind of the same problem with my now 22 month old. He learned to roll over both directions at three months. I got one of those sleep positioning devices and he would just wiggle free of it. I figured if he was that capable of movement than it didn't matter what way he fell asleep or ended up. I just checked on him and he slept in our room. I never had any problem with him not breathing. The only safety thing would be no stuffed animals and no big blankets in the crib.
    Joie_momx2

Answer by Joie_momx2 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• have you tried putting her on her side? maybe she would be ok with that. It would decrease the risk of smothering, but if she can lift up her head or roll over on her own I wouldn't worry too much.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 12:47 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My son is 6 months old and has slept on his belly since he was a month and a half old. he would not sleep any other way. We even tried putting him on his side and he did not want to lay that way. I would say if you have been doing this since 1 month old your lo is more tahn likely fine. Its scary to think about when you hear a lo passing b/c of sids etc but you can't let that worry you to death. Just keep a close eye on your lo if you are nervous if she won't switch to sleeping on her back and rest assure she has been fine all this time and I am sure she will continue to be fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• The baby who died most likely didn't die due to sleeping on its stomach. Babies prefer to sleep on their stomachs. This may be because it's more comfortable and easier to breathe. Both my kids slept like this until they were 2 or 3. Even if you start your baby on her back she will only roll over to her preferred sleeping position. I know its scary to hear about other babies dying from SIDS but sleeping on the stomach is an unlikely cause since most babies sleep in that position.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 3:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Let your little one be comfy. My son also hates to sleep on his back. when he was 2 months old he started sleeping through the night but only on his tummy. I figured my mom put me to sleep on my tummy, and doctors cant make up there mind on the safest way to sleep. As soon as mine could lift his head on his own I let him sleep how he wanted. Its all about what you want to do.
    cmtjenn

Answer by cmtjenn at 3:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2009