bathing alone

at what age can you trust a child to bathe on there own...or at least be able to leave the bathroom after you've cleaned them, without worrying that they'll drown or burn themselves?

ginger813

Asked by ginger813 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• mine was 3 1/2
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• but I check on him every couple minutes or call his name
    looovemybabies

• My son is almost 6 and he takes his own shower, with a bit of supervision on the hiney area...lol.

My dd is almost 4 and she is NOT ready yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• my daughter has played in the bathtub (or shower, now that shes older) by herself since she was 2.5yrs old, shes 5 now, and we have never had any problems!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• If my 5 yo would keep the water in the tub, he could be on his own. However, I like my bathroom floor and living room ceiling, so I still supervise baths.

**sigh**

I am waiting, though, for the whole big boy responsibility thing to break through......
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:33 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• When they were able to take showers, I left them alone. But a bath is in order once a week to soak out all the dirt. Although we've kept to once a month now...
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 6:20 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Mine are 4 and 2 (they take baths together for now), and I will leave the bathroom and let them play for a while after they're cleaned... with the water OFF. However, if I can't hear them, there's a problem. They are VERY loud in the tub. I stay close by, and I also call out to them every few minutes and ask if everything is okay. They both yell back "YES" with lots of giggles...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Mine was about 3 but I was never far away and always was peeking in on him.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:04 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Depended on the kid. My oldest 2 were about 5 and 6. The only reason they were that old was because I had never thought to leave them alone. They usually took a bath together along with their younger sister who needed to be supervised so I was always in there. Finally I realized they were okay to be in the tub alone while I did dishes across the hall or whatever. My middle daughter was about 5 because I had to make sure she could handle not falling or something. She has seizures and easily forgets what she is doing and gets hurt doing normal activities (she is always falling off the couch and walking into walls).
    My youngest is 3 and I still wash her up but she has been known to get into the tub and shower after her sisters are done without me knowing. I've also left her with an older sibling in charge when she was 2 (usually my son who is 4 years older then her).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I started just before my son turned 4 - he showed me that he could follow all the safety rules, so I'm comfortable leaving him alone while I putz around the house.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2009