Stupid Question

Is it possible for a 6 week old to get too attatched to the tv? When my husband comes home in the morning time from his graveyard job and takes over watching our daughter Gwendolyn for a while he always turns the tv on to watch while he cares for her. He does turn it on the Sprout Channel (which is a channel for little kids and toddlers) and they watch sesame street and things of that nature. And Admittedly when I am up and she is laying her in bouncer I turn it to the sprout channel so I can get dinner cooked and dishes done and what not. Well I went to my mom's today my mom was holding Gwen faced towards her, so that her back was to the tv. Gwen instantly started crying and screaming..when my mom turned her to face the tv (my little sister was watching big brother) gwen instantly calmed down and happily cooed as she watched the show. Should I be worried or is she just lulled by the flashing lights and sounds?? Please help.

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 12:53 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is a sign to keep her away from the tv.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i agree with anon
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Im sure it's fine. She probably likes all the colors and sounds. Mine loved the baby einstein dvds for 0-3 months.
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 1:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I would steer clear of the television. That is the worst baby sitter for children.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My 6 week old likes the TV, but she honestly cannot see that far yet. She is fascinated by the colors and lights and sounds. I try not to give my baby the TV, but she gets tired of the TV very quickly. My baby loves laying in her bed and listening to the music box. Try that when you have something to do. The music box keeps her occupied, but yet again, just long enough for me to do what I have to do.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 1:13 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• She doesn't watch watch it for long.. She mostly gets her tv time with dad in the morning time when he is off from work.. I spend most of my time with her with her cuddled up next to me.. I read to her.. I sing to her.. I talk to her.. but I am just as guilty as turning it on (especially for sesame street..she seems to like elmo) while i do dishes and cook.. She mostly watches it and drifts off but I am not a big person on kids watching tv and I didn't think her small amount she was getting was a problem until she did that at mom's today.. and I am trying to tell myself that maybe it's just her wanting to see where the noise was coming from..but I am unsure.. I don't want her to feel she has to have the tv to be lulled or comforted
    Faeriebrat

Answer by Faeriebrat at 1:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• im surprised. neither of mine would even look at a television until they were around 3
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• it is more than likely the colors and fast paced changes on the screen that catch her eye :) I wouldn't worry. My son is 6 months old and LOVES to watch anything that is fast paced and full of color any other time he doesn't really care. They say not to let them watch tv all the time which is good advice but at that age its not gonna hurt them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• mine love it too that young i think it was the movement and sound... she still does and she 7 months only my babysitter uses it as a babysitter so i dont let her watch much with me. and if she does its always like elmo or somthing good. i know shes only 7 months but i figure its better then trash tv, bc she does enjoy it now and then.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 2:20 AM on Jul. 10, 2009