I read somewhere that when hurricane Katrina hit and people were suffering

women watched their babies die in their arms because they starved to death.

What would you do if you were in a situation like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Being that I nurse my children until they feel it is time to wean then I would not be having this problem, but lets say I chose to give formula. I would be searching high and low for any woman who was lactating and begging her to wet nurse my child while I tried to re lactate myself. Since I would have been nursing my own I would have been offering to wet nurse any child that needed it and also probably insisting that my older child who had weaned take some expressed breast milk in a cup to help keep him from getting sick and dehydrated.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:20 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• If my kids were still infants, I would be thanking God that I chose top breastfeed them.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Ditto VeronicaLee. Also if I was still lactating, I would feed any baby that needed food.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• They were dying because there wasn't any formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I'll be honest, I wouldn't be there. I am so scared of storms, I would be hours and hours inland. If I happened to be somewhere that babies were starving because of lack of formula, I'd be nursing any babies I could (if I was nursing my own baby). That's so sad.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Speaking from Ground Zero, thats not true. I had an 11mth old that time, and I want to say thanks to the wonderful citizens of this great country, people from all over sent formula, diapers, bottled water, all kinds of baby stuff and clothes down here within a matter of a day or two. And the people who choose to stay (like me) made sure that we were stocked up on that kind of stuff. Im in Biloxi, and we initially had it way worse than New Orleans, before the levee broke, and our damage was still worse because we had tidal waves up to 45ft coming in and taking everything back out to sea. Anyways, its crap and not true, we were in need, but if anyone was dying, it was due to the heat and having no electricity or from a disease from the water coming in, or during the storm itself. There were hardly any fatalities after the storm was over. In that situation, I would stock up like I did. But next hurricane, my ass is leaving.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I breastfeed my babies, Thank God... and I would breastfeed other babies too. I read an article where some women did that.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2009