I'm 7 months pregnant, is it ok to take the Flinstone gummie vitamins rather than pre-natal ones that I hate to swallow?

I read this once on here about the Flinstone ones & my doctor said as long as I eat a balanced diet I don't need vitamins what do you think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• two flinstone gummys a day!
    My doctor has told me to take thta the whole time, because I HATE swallowing pills.
    and there YUMMY!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i used regular flinstone vitamins until i was 4 months along. the regular prenatals made me sick (iron) so my doc said to take 2 flinstones. i believe the gummies are the same. check with your doc though.

it is really, really difficult to get everything you need only from food. i would be sure to take a vitamin just to be sure baby and you are getting all you need.
    KyleeTrogolo

Answer by KyleeTrogolo at 1:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Do they have enough Folic Acid? That's the only thing I would be concerned about.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:04 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• yep my doc told me the same thing because of kidney problem i cant take the regular prenatals. so she told me to take flinstone chewables with iron and a seperate folic acid pill.. they are really small and easy to swollow. they are about the size of a tic tac.
    sarahgrassi

Answer by sarahgrassi at 2:08 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• You can take Select-OB, they are chewable prenatal vitamins... I take them...
    angelmama081007

Answer by angelmama081007 at 2:15 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I would compare labels & try to equate the prenates with the chewables & other smaller supps.

Can you eat a balanced diet? Isn't that like 6 servings of fruits & veggies a day, plus wholegrains & all that other stuff? I can't, and we try really hard! I hate vitamins, but I honestly feel better when I take them. I wish I could say it wasn't true, so i didn't have to take the nasty things!

Remember that Dr.s recieve alot less training on nutrition than you would think. Your dr's advice is actually going against the AMA s advice too. Hmmm. Not very good advice if you ask me.

Well, I'm off to take my Iron pill before bed so I don't get sick from it.
    FlagMomNick

Answer by FlagMomNick at 3:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• PS Taking your Ironpill at bedtime with a glass of OJ helps to absorb the Iron better, very important so you don't bleed too much when you give birth.
    FlagMomNick

Answer by FlagMomNick at 3:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Honestly I haven't had a problem with the prenatals I take. There's two actually; one actual vitamin and one dha pill. My doctor gave me a perscription for them and they aren't exactly cheap either. All in all its everything my growing baby needs and more...why take the chance of not giving the developing baby everything it needs? It makes me sick sometimes but I realize if I just take it at night with dinner I'm fine. Good luck.
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• You can get chewable prenatals if the swallowing is your problem, but two flintstones a day are good too. I did the chewable preantals because they are prescription and my insurance paid 100% for those, but not the flintstones.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:16 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• No. Children's vitamins do not have what your growing baby needs. You need prenatal vitamins.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2009