Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

food stamps, can you get them if pregnant and seperated from husband?

23 yrs old, pregnant with first child.
husband and i are spliting and i live alone now. i watch kids to make extra money. hubs is army and BAH is still taking care of rent but i only make enough to pay bills, not buy food.
i am 7 months right now w// no car so i cannot go out and get a fantastic job right this second. i will figure everything out but until then i need some assistance.
w/ his income we don't qualify for food stamps, but he's not helping me with money except for rent. (we live off post)

any way i can get them without using his income?

please don't bash, i'm not planning to live off them for forever just now and about 3 weeks after birth. then i will be moving w/ family hopefully and i will have a good job w/ parents to watch baby and take me to and from work. i am already on wic so i have cereal, milk, eggs, juice, ect.. not enough to live for a month.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (4)
  • I would call your health and welfare office and explaine to them your situation, I don't see why not

    Answer by looovemybabies at 1:23 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

  • Yes! You should also qualify for WIC, inquire about that at your Health Dept. You may have to provide proof of him giving you any money (if he does) which can sometimes just be a signed statement, depending where you live. But definitely, you should be able to get food stamps so long as he is no longer in the home.

    Answer by TCliffman at 1:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

  • Yes you can get food stamps and as well, you qualify for WIC and medicade! GL and keep us updated!

    Answer by Alysia_Moore at 1:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

  • Did he join the military after you two got together? If he did I beleive you are entitled to some of his money. Get ahold of his commanding officer to find out for sure. But i agree with other people, just go to your local office and they will be able to help you. This is what this program is here for. People who need a little help once in awhile. Theres nothing wrong with it as long as you are working to improving yourself.

    Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.