HELP! 3 y/o acts up when my fiance is around

my fiance and I have been together for a year. 8 months ago we moved in together and recently ds has started acting up when df is home. in the morning ds is great but when df comes home he starts not listening and throwing tantrums. he knows consequences are the same no matter who's here or what's going on...please someone help me understand what's going on in this child head! why on earth is he acting up all of a sudden and why only when df is around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are so many variables that make this hard to determine. I am assuming that your fiance is not your child's father. That could be the constraint, if your son is suddenly having to share you with another. It could simply be timing though. By the end of the day, he could just simply be worn out and that just happens to be when your fiance is around. He's 3.... the terrible 2's don't just stop when he reaches the next milestone. Just keep a routine and he will learn to deal.
    TCliffman

Answer by TCliffman at 1:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I should add that df has never laid a hand on ds (although he has yelled if ds does something like throws toys at the walls or when ds broke a screen on a window) this makes me think its not that he's scared of him (i yell a lot more and louder and administer the spankings if need be) and as far as sharing me goes, why now after 8 months is he just starting? I thought maybe its cause I'm 8 1/2 months preggo, but why would it only be around df?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• small children pick up on "vibes" . I learned a long time ago to pay attention to small children and animals when it comes to other adults. The child obviously feels something negative that you don't feel or see when it comes to df. I'm guessing that will come to the surface and be more obvious to you if you really marry the guy. I hope it's nothing really bad.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 AM on Jul. 10, 2009