How do you cope with severe sciatic nerve pain during pregnancy?

I am 18 weeks pregnant, and having severe pain in my lower back that I've been told is my sciatic nerve. If I lay in certain positions, I will get stuck that way, with the pain being so horrible if I try to move that it brings me to tear. Putting weight on that side of my body is excruciating and there are times when I absolutely can't walk. Anyone else experience this? I woulf like to hear stories and any strategies you may have come up with to cope. Thanks.

canasamom

Asked by canasamom at 1:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had really bad pain in my back but I was like 28+ weeks then, I couldn't sit stand or lay for more then a minute and the only way I felt better is if I was in a doggy style postion cuz that way baby weight was of my back it sucked so bad, I just can't imagine having all that pain so early in your prego I's sorry hopefully it will get better
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Acupuncture can really help! Good luck
    babyjakesmama

Answer by babyjakesmama at 2:19 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I asked my OB for a chiropractic referral when my sciatica became almost paralyzing. I feel ya!

He gave me an adjustment himself, then he took my knee and put it up almost to the side of my ribs, and told me to do this to stretch because my sciatica ws not from mal-adjustment, but from muscle spasm.
    So now I stretch out my lower back, and I've noticed that when I get tense I get a twinge. It's a great rminder to relax!

Also stretching is FREE! Doesn't involve needles & doesn't require the participation of another person like massage (but if you canget a massage, go for t!)
    FlagMomNick

Answer by FlagMomNick at 3:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Yes, yes and YES! Sciatica sucks. BUT!!! I've found a lot of relief with stretching (doing stretches on all fours relieves the pressure baby is putting on your back). And, if you put a full sized, rolled up towel in the microwave for 1 minute, then use it on your back 2 or 3 times a day, it's AMAAAZING. Seriously, the first time I did it it felt like I was getting a massage it felt so good. I have to stretch every night before bed and sometimes in the morning. But I've noticed with consistancy you can control it very well. I'm 25 weeks, and I've had the pain since 18 weeks too. It can feel better if you take care of it. E-mail me if you want to talk more!! I know how you feel!
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 3:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Thanks! I can't go to a chiro with my insurance (tricare), but I'm going to try those stretches right now
    canasamom

Answer by canasamom at 8:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I had this really bad when I was pregnant with my 3rd daughter because I carried her more in my back. My doctor just told me to sit in a chair all day with a heating pad. Eventually the pain went away !!
    sophia_03_27

Answer by sophia_03_27 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I had that too I had it before I was pregnant because of work. Heating pads and stretching is best. My friend who also had it went to the chiro and taught me the stretches her told her to do. Before I was pregnant I took a lot ibuprofen but you should ask you doctor about it.
    oxojen178oxo

Answer by oxojen178oxo at 11:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I had it severely with #2 and #3.

tylenol helped.
    massage therapy, chiropractor and a really good acupuncturist would help.

also I did some yoga moves that were designed for prenatal - those were good.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• mine wasn't as bad as yours, but it was pretty awful... i took tylenol and lots of hot baths... i also used a heating pad... but it didn't really give much relief at all... never lay on your back! that was the worst, i like to sleep on my back and often found myself waking up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain because i'd turned onto my back again. lie on your left side. stretch a lot, and don't stay in any one position for too long... or on your feet too long. there really isn't much you can do. :( good luck!
    rowansmommy0130

Answer by rowansmommy0130 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2009