Is 7 yo. too young for our DD. to be masterbating?

She has been masterbating in the bathtub and shower lately, is she too young? or should I just close the door and forget about it? I didnt start that young.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my sons only 3 so I don't have experience with this yet, but from what I understand its a bad idea to discourage it because it might give her a bad body image or something. you might damage her self esteme orsexuality or something like that. sorry I'm not much help all I know is I've always been told if a kid wants to then let them just encourage them to do it behind closed doors (if they aren't already) good luck. maybe someone will have better advice for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Personally, I think that seems WAY too young. I'm not a child psychologist, but I recommend contacting one. I don't know if this is normal, but I can't imagine it is, and I don't know how you should handle it.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• my oppion is that it is none of your buisness really, even as the mom it suck, but as long as she is the only one touching there them its no problem if teach her it is bad trust me she will end up thinking she bad or something have atalk with her about privacy and let her have privacy maybe she needs to shower and have a tub by her self and make it a rule to nock but there is nothing wrong with that. think about it it feels good i dont think she is thinking about sex when she doese ar even a boy for that matter she prob just like how it feels if it is about sex that could be a problem i would worry were she learned about sex from. but it is her spot on her body so its her choice just my oppinion though.
    hope it all works out good luck
    mommommom1988

Answer by mommommom1988 at 2:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I agree 7 does seem young maybe you should ask a professional to be safe.
    heathersmomm500

Answer by heathersmomm500 at 2:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• my opinion it's to young, mybe try and talk to her about it, I think as a mom I would want to talk to her about it but I don't have a 7 year old girl
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:28 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• is it wrong when she picks her nose because it just abot the same and i guarentee she doese that to
    mommommom1988

Answer by mommommom1988 at 2:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i don't think isyoung my daughter did it when she was 6, he is just findig it feels good just tell him to do it in the bathroom, and just keep it to him self, he'll grow out of it,my daughter did.
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 2:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Thanks for your advice, I have talked with her about privacy, but We only have one bathroom, and sometimes Hubby and I need to use it too, Hubby couldnt believe what he saw either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I don't think its too young or that she needs a doctor as someone said above that would just make her think what she is doing is wrong, if she's not hurting herself or others then leave it alone. as much as parents don't want to hear this it is normal even for children. I started doing it between 6-7 years old and nothing was wrong with me, I wasnt abused or disturbed. it's natural although shocking to some people.
    mzprincessreina

Answer by mzprincessreina at 3:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• No, that's not too young. I started around that age.

She doesn't think of it in sexual terms yet. She probably just thinks it feels good.

Don't make a big deal out of it. Just tell her that's a private act and to close the door.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2009