Is it normal to have clumps come out when you pump?

I've been trying to breastfeed my son but haven't been having much luck so I've been pumping. The last time I pumped I had clumps come out. I didn't know if that was normal or if it meant something may be wrong or even if I should let him eat that milk or any milk from that breast...

mlmad21

Asked by mlmad21 at 2:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• never heard of clumps come out I would call your OB
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i had this! just means that your body made to much milk and is storing it i forgot the medical term! when you take a shower rub the top of your breast in the water that helps releve the pressue and the tenderness! also helps to put a warm rag on your breasts!
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 2:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Sounds like you might have had some plugged ducts that got worked out. Small clumps?

For help with the breastfeeding, please pop over to the Breastfeeding Moms group. We've got centuries of collective experience to assist you.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It's not NORMAL, but it is common. It sounds like plugged ducts. The cure: nurse/pump. If this is what it is, the milk is fine for you baby. If you'd like help with your specific breastfeeding issue, help to get back to breast, let me or Gdiamante know, I can try to help and she can help, without a doubt.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2009