how do I get him to stop being such a slob?

my fiance is driving me crazy! every time he comes home he takes his clothes off and throws them on the floor. my 3 y/o does better at putting his clothes in a hamper! I don't mind cleaning the house... I stay at home all day while he works. but how can I get him to stop bringing rediculous projects home and trashing the house? how can I get him to put his clothes in the dirty clothes when he takes them off? every time I get the house clean its messy again by sundown! HELP!! one reason I'm so antsy is I'm pregnant and the baby can come any day now and the house is a pigsty! we can't bring a baby home to this! he has agreed to put his clean clothes away cause its hard for me to bend over and open the drawers. (my clothes all get hung) well our bassinet is now FILLED with his clothes! yes they are clean but still! does it really take so much extra time to open and close a drawer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• I would tell him you know what dude this is what up and tell him how you feel and how much stress he is cosing you as if pregnancy alone isn't stressful enough

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:49 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• You can't. That is part of who he is. Ask him for five and ten minutes of hard work here and there. Specifically, please take care of THIS (whatever it is.)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My hubby is a slob too. Our house is at the point where I can't stand it anymore either. He wants to go fishing all day on his day off on Monday. But I told him neither of us were leaving the house Monday until it was spotless. He's pouting but he's also cleaning :)
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 6:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Only wash what makes it into the hamper. And tell him that, starting today, you're only going to wash what's in the hamper, if it's on the floor, it stays there.

As far as asking him to put the clothes away, don't put them in the bassinet, put them on his side of the bed, or on the toilet... somewhere where he HAS to move them. And when he picks them up, tell him to just put them in the drawer... It's probably that he just forgets to do it because he doesn't do it right when you ask him to, and they sit there for several days...

I used to do this with trash when we lived in an apartment. I would ask him to take the trash out, and 3 days would go by. So I would put it in front of the door, so he had to walk over it to get out or move it... It'd be gone that day. :) Now, after 5 years, I've got him trained that if I ask him to do something, he does it right away so it gets done.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Well with my hubs if his dirty clothes are not in the hamper I won't pick them up and wash them. He is a grown man, old enough to pick up after himself. I am not his mommy, or his maid. I let him know that his mess = his responsibility.

For his clean laundry alot of times I will dump it on HIS side of the bed-- that way he has to put it away. Sometimes I leave it in a clean laundry basket on his side of the sofa--- but that is too easy for him to shove aside and then it sits in the livingroom for days....

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:15 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Call his mom. She taught him those poor habits. She can either fix it or ream him a new one for being so inconsiderate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• give him one area of the house that he can be as messy as he wants. dump all of his stuff there and let him clean his area himself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• HAHA... When you find out, let me know...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• When the clothes get dumped on the floor, take 'em outside and set them on fire. When a ridiculous project is clogging up an area, take it outside and drive over it with the car. Dirty dishes left in the living room? Frisbee those suckers across the yard. Get the picture?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:20 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Take all his crap and throw in a basket or box. When he can't find what he is looking for, tell him they are in the "lazy basket" and he can dig through to find what he needs.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2009