• In the Spotlight:

what is depression?

Im beggining to think im depressed! and idont know why i have 4 beautiful kids a wonderful hubby and i get to b a stay at home mom! my baby is 4 months old and they say baby blues can happen up until the baby is 1 is this true? and how do i know if im depressed or not? i wanna cry all the time i wanna curl up in a ball and just lay there im short with my hubby and my kids and i dont mean to be and i just wanna sleep all the time! is this depression?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Health

• Have you been to the doctor lately? Have your thyroid, iron levels and b vitamin levels checked. I had that same issue and turned out to be hypothyroid with severe anemia. GO GET CHECKED.
    HUGS
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• a condition of general emotional dejection and withdrawal; sadness greater and more prolonged than that warranted by any objective reason.

a depression so severe as to be considered abnormal, either because of no obvious environmental causes, or because the reaction to unfortunate life circumstances is more intense or prolonged than would generally be expected.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 3:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It could be. You may need some time just for YOU, no hubby, no kids, just a day or even a few hours out with yourself or with a good friend. Maybe take yourself out to lunch, get your hair done, get some new make up (if you wear it), treat yourself, is what I am trying to say. Find something that you want to do just for YOU and do it. As a mother we sometimes (or more than sometimes...) let ourselves "go" as we are trying to take care of our families and make sure they have everything they want and need. Then you, as the mother starts to feel as you are feeling. You need to give to YOU for a day. buy yourself something that you want, nothing for anyone else, and also yes, call your doctor. Maybe Zoloft or another med for possible depression can get you through this. But do not isolate yourself. It will get worse.
    Best of luck to you. I hope you feel better soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• same here same as susieD250
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Sounds like you could be, you should really go to the doctor and get evaluated. Baby Blues is not the same as depression. Try to get out of the house everyday, some time by yourself to have you time may help too. I would strongly suggest the evaluation by a doctor. Sometimes a little help is in order and there is nothing wrong with anyone needing help. I hope you feel better soon.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2009