Gastric bypass surgery... now I'm too thin.

I am wondering if anyone here knows if there is a way to GAIN weight (something I NEVER thought I would ever want to do...)

I am about 8 months or so post-op gastric bypass surgery. It can't be reversed and I am getting TOO skinny. I have been asked by one of my former neighbors if I am "taking that medicine" (crack) because the last time the guy saw me it was last summer and I was overweight (about 300). Now I am under 180, tall and too darn skinny. My surgeon says my ideal body weight is 150 but there is NO Way I will get to that if I can help it. I am too skinny now and I look sickly.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Health

• My husband had gastric bypass last summer, Roux en Y procedure. Good job for taking that step. Now to stop or slow the loss. Have you tried protein shakes in between meals? Adding snacks?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• That's what I was thinking, a high calorie shake. I so envy you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• From the original poster: Hi. Yes, I do snack, and can actually eat anything I want. BUT I cannot stomach those shakes at all. they make me gag and have dry heaves. I could try them again as I haven't tried them since I was newly postop. I do know that I am not always hungry and sometimes food is a turn off. I have to try to eat even though I don't want to sometimes which is SO hard. I will try to snack healthy and also I think maybe if I tone and exercise a bit it may help me look healthy. I hope your hubby has good progress. If I could do it again, I would. Too skinny or not. It has done wonders for my self esteem and sometimes I look healthier than others. Makeup is a huge help too! (and getting more rest would make me look better too! Ya think?)

Thanks so much. Have a nice night!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• You may not be too skinny at all, it may just look like it after all the weight you lost. Have you talked to a nutritionist to help with eating properly? Have a fruit smoothie inbetween meals. Exercise may help, as will a makeover and a new outfit or two. It's really hard to say if you are too skinny, a picture of before and after would be helpful.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2009