How can I get my 4 year old boy to stop crying over EVERYTHING?? (i.e.: losing,not getting his way, taking turns)

jenrag1981

Asked by jenrag1981 at 3:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just talk to him and explain that crying won't get him anywhere. my son has been the same way when he was your son's age, and now that he's 6yrs old, it hasn't really changed lol. i'll just try and talk to him, ASK him why he's crying and why he's upset and then talk my way through. i don't like ignoring, i'm a problem solver i guess lol even though some ppl look at me weird for doing so i just think it's important for children to express their feelings and crying is one of those feelings and you should always try to get to the bottom of things and find a solution that works for everyone in your family but especially for your child!
    trisandkksmom

Answer by trisandkksmom at 3:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• He is four. He is still a baby. Pick him up, cuddle him and talk to him about things. He will understand eventually if you keep talking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My DD is 4 and she is the same way. I think part of it is their age... They all seem to cry over everything at that age.

It depends on where we are, my DD starts crying, I'll ask her why she's crying and if she won't stop, we'll leave and go home. The same with either one of them and bad behavior.

Usually she does it when we're at home though. She doesn't like people looking at her, and she tends to not cry in public. When we're at home, I'll ask her why she's crying and she'll tell me, and then I'll tell her that I'm not going to listen to her cry and that she should go away until she can stop. That usually does it and she'll stop.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• teach him how to lose graciously. I play games with my grandkids and I purposely lose so I can show them how to lose without being a big baby about it. We have to teach them coping skills for these things. As for taking turns, we show them how well others are waiting for their turn. If you don't teach him these things now he'll be a real pain when he's 13!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2009