• In the Spotlight:

Can someone help me understand Buddhism better?

What are the four noble truths about?

Are there any important holiday's and traditions in Buddhism?

If you are a Buddhist...how has this relgion shaped your life?

What is the main belief in Buddhism?

Urthangel

Asked by Urthangel at 3:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• All of the answer to these questions an more are posted in the Buddhism section of My Group... We would be happy to have you. There are women there happy to answer any more questions too...

End Religious Intolerance and Ignorance

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• The four noble truths - all life is suffering, suffering comes from desire/attachment, desire/attachment can be overcome, this is done by the Eightfold Path (right understanding, right purpose, right speech, right conduct, right livelihood, right effort, right alertness, right concentration). There is Buddha day (April 8th), which is when the Buddha's birth is celebrated, and Bodhi day (Dec 8th), which celebrates the day he took his place under the Bodhi tree. Nirvana day is Feb 15th, and its when the Buddha's passing is observed. There may be others, I'm not sure. I am not Buddhist. I'm pretty sure the "main belief" is overcoming desire/attachment by following the Eightfold path and reaching Nirvana.
    You can look here

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• The 4 Noble Truths, basically, are: Life is full of suffering, suffering is caused by attachment, the way to enlightenment is through giving up these attachments, & the 4th truth is the 8-fold path detailing how to overcome these truths.

There are several things Buddhists celebrate: The Buddha's birthday is a common one. Different denominations celebrate different days. We don't have a holy day, though, as we see every day as holy.

It hasn't shaped my life much as I didn't "become" Buddhist. I've been since birth. It's just WHO I am, even before I knew anything about Buddhism, I was Buddhist. For me, it's like having brown eyes. I didn't discover brown eyes & decide they were right for me. I've just always had them.

Our main beliefs are the 4 Noble Truths & the 8-Fold Path.

The Buddhist Mamas group here on CM is a GREAT place to ask questions. www.buddhanet.net, too, has abundant info.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I just discovering Buddhism! I love it! I love the simplicity and the beauty of it.

I think I'll be Buddhist forever
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i want you to know that there is a living God for you and he has a life for you that you may not even have ever dreamed of. He lovesyou with all of his heart and i pray that you find him. He sent his only son Jesus to die for you, so that you did not need to suffer with sin anylonger and so you could have a real deep relationship with his father(God). The book of John in the new testiment in the bible is a good book to read if you want some answers
    Anonymous

• buddhism is not a religion.......its a philosophy on life. its about being balanced, peaceful, moral, ethical, compassionate, meditating on all fo these...

thats it ina nutshell. buddhism is NOT a religion ......just a way of looking at life
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• All I know is if you meet the Buddha on the road, you are supposed to kill him.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 1:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• you know a catholic site that listed movies they suggest. suggested a movie about buddhism because fo the values that it enforces. and this was on the vaticans top 50 for values and morals
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• oh for crying out loud Anon, peddle that tripe elsewhere.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• While I am now Agnostic, there was a time when I followed Buddhism closely. I think PP have given you some good facts about it so I"ll give you my experiance with it/how it shaped me..

There are a few things I got from my time practicing Buddhism...In learning and meditating on the 4 Noble Tuths, I was able to accept things that happen in the world more easily. At first, the Truths seemed kinda depressing, but the more you think on it, the more you realize its supposed to FREE you from the depression you can experiance from the world around you. I also believe in reincarnation and karma (but it varies a bit from Buddhism). I try and follow a peaceful path and have respect for all living things (but I still eat meat). I still meditate on occasion and its very calming. Overall, its a very peaceful and compassionate philosophy and its helped my be more in touch with those feelings in myself.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2009