What are some more displine actions I can use on my 3 and 4 year old??

it seems like everything I try dosent work they just kinda go on and ignor me so I need some help

Brandi1983

Asked by Brandi1983 at 3:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i'd do the good ole "time out" if he gets up 'cause he doesn't want to sit down, you gently hold him in his spot until he stops fighting you, always stay calm, talk to him, give him about a minute or two and then ask him if he's ready to talk, then let him get up and talk about what just happend and if he understands why you had to send him on a time out...
    trisandkksmom

Answer by trisandkksmom at 3:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• You can try practicing (if he slams the door, have him practice closing it gently two or three times for every time he slams it), do-overs (at this age, do-overs still work because kids sometimes just forget), think time until they are ready to calm down/listen (time spent is not determined by age - but by their ability to calm themselves down until they are ready to talk/listen about their behavior choices), positive reinforcement - try to catch them doing good as much as you can and consistently affirm the good behavior choices, Role playing - switch places and show them how they behave, Role Model - when you get mad, behave as you would like them to behave, when needed, take parent time-outs until YOU calm down and let your child know why you're walking away to calm down, Learn the triggers and try to pre-empt them, teach calming techniques, like breathing, be consistent and reasonable in responses - don't expect perfection
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• also, Make sure behavior isn't related to allergies - monitor food and behavior after eating to see if there's anything that tends to get him wired - some food additives and preservatives will do this, in addition to the usual suspects like sugar and caffeine. If listening is an issue, make sure you're talking in a way that he will be able to understand - get down on his level, touch him to get his attention if he doesn't seem to notice you, make sure you have eye contact, and once you're done, have him repeat back what you said/asked, along with any consequences so that you at least know he heard and understood what you were saying. Always give him the consequences up front until he can figure them out for himself - hence the need for consistency.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• At this age I think the best thing is time outs. If you have to, physically take them to the time out chair and make them sit there, after a few days they will know they have to sit there until the timer goes off. Make sure to set a timer that has a beep or something so they know when the time is up. It may seem this isn't working at first but stick with it.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I put my daughter in a corner for time out. It works more of the time.
    minniemommie

Answer by minniemommie at 12:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2009