bed wetting.

I asked this earlier but I don't think it posted. If it did I am sorry for the duplicate. My grandson is 3 years old. Has been potty trained for several months and done really well. However the past couple weeks he has started wetting the bed. In the beginning he would get up at night and go to the bathroom. He is not waking up now apparently because he has started wetting the bed. My son and his wife have stopped drinks several hours prior to his bed time but he is still wetting the bed. Any suggestion?

pamr95

Asked by pamr95 at 8:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Literally get him up and take him to the bathroom once or twice a night.

I know it sucks, but I did it with my daughter for a while because she had problems with wetting the bed after my husband came home from Iraq.

I would put her to bed at her normal bedtime (7:30pm), and then before we would go to bed (10-11), I would get her up and take her to pee. The first night, she still wet the bed, so the next night, I set my alarm and got up again at 2-3ish in the morning and took her again. I did it for a few nights and then went back to just taking her before we went to bed, and it worked... after about a week, I stopped taking her, and she stopped wetting the bed.

I know it's not fun to get up and take them, but it seems to work.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I am sorry I forgot to say that in my question. His mom started getting up with him at night and make him go and when she stopped he still wet the bed. Let me also say, if it means anything, he was a little behind the curve for walking, talking, putting sentences together, etc. However, he is as smart and bright as any other child his age. ( No mental issues) just late bloomer. Thanks for your reply, she may just have to keep doing it for a while longer.
    pamr95

Answer by pamr95 at 8:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Hmm...

Maybe they need to try to figure out what's causing this...

Is he drinking more than normal? Eating anything with lots of water in it (like watermelon, really any melons or lots of fruit in general). If so, they may need to somewhat limit fluids during the day and maybe limit fluids after like 1 or 2pm. Is he playing REALLY hard during the day so he sleeps really hard at night? I know it's summer and we do a lot of things outside. My kids sleep really well after a really active day. Especially after swimming.

Or could it be emotional? Are there any changes in the household? You don't have to answer here, just things to think about.

The only other fix that comes to mind is setting an alarm to wake him up and seeing if he'll get up on his own to go. I don't know if that would work for a 3 year old though, he might just ignore it and go back to sleep, which is probably what he's doing anyway.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• There is a nerve that sometimes gets pinched. It's a quick and painless chiropractic fix. If all else fails, I think it would be worth getting the child checked out.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:13 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• He is only 3. It is perfectly normal to wet the bed. maybe at first he wasn't sleeping well because he was excited to not wear a diaper. Now the excitement has worn off & he is back to sound sleeping. Put a pullup on him.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I was going to say what motherofhope did. The fun probably wore off, lol.
    Also did his schedule change at all. My son wet the bed until he was 6 1/2 then last summer decided he was done with pull-ups on his own and made a huge effort to control his bladder at night. I was fine with him wearing the pull-ups but he didn't want them so he stopped drinking at night and used the bathroom like 10 times, etc.
    He went from wetting the bed every night to only having accidents once or twice a week. Now he's almost 8 and has 1 or 2 accidents a month...that was until last month. Now he's having them almost nightly. What changed? He started staying up later because it's summer. Instead of going to bed at 7pm he's staying up until 10pm and going to bed exhausted. He's so tired his brain can't control his bladder.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Instead of limiting liquids, which can cause dehydration, take him to a doctor and find out if there is anything physically wrong with his bladder. He could have an overactive bladder, a small bladder or he sleeps so soundly he doesn't wake up when he has to go at night. Put him in Pullups at bedtime. It is not uncommon for kids as old as 12 to be bedwetters because of underdeveloped bladders. I wouldn't punish him or make a big deal out of it either. Get a plastic mattress cover to protect the mattress.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Three yrs old is very early to be nighttime trained. Most 3 yr olds arent. My THREE yr old isnt even potty trained and I have 2 other children that were and are bed wetters. It can be caused by genetics, bladder immaturity, sleeping too soundly, ect. Being that he was getting himself up is a sign that he can do it, but its not likely to happen that often. A 3 yr old really doesnt need to be woken up at night to go to the bathroom. They need 12 hrs of sleep a night if they are not napping and even if they are. I think a pull up is fine for now. When you begin to see the pull up dry at night, you will know that he might be ready to stop. My son is 7 1/2 and still wetting and wearing goodnights. WHen he turns 8, he will be ready for medication if he wants it. We've tried everything else. Also my oldest who is 15, wet until she was 11. She took meds, wore pull ups, everything. One day , it just stopped. Give him time.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:18 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My sons still wet the bed. (bedwetting is common in my family). My sons wear overnight pull-ups to bed. The doctor suggested they try 'excercises' -- when peeing they stop, start, stop,start the stream. Do that a few times every time they pee to strengthen the bladder.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:55 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• That is pretty much what my husband and I told them last night. He is only 3 and some wet the bed till later in age. I told them to put a pull up on him and not worry about it. I just wanted to check with you younger mothers and make sure my older age advise was not wrong. We grandmothers sometimes can do the old school way. I think they were thinking they were going backwards if they put pulls on again. I didn't think so, as he is fine during the day. " If he needs them at night, so be it" he won't be little forever. They grow up SO FAST anyway.
    pamr95

Answer by pamr95 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2009