My 6 yr. old just started 1st grade. She was given a spelling test with 25 words to spell. She didn't get not one right.

The teacher told me she was the only one that most kids got 10, 15 or all 25 right. Do you think my kid should have repeated kindergarten. She just turned 6. They expect her to know how to read, write sentences already. Wow. Is it me or is my kid really behind?

MWood123

Asked by MWood123 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was the same way. I held him back in kindergarten. I think that too much is expected of children in elementary school. When I went to school I was taught how to read and write. Now they want the children to show up already knowing how to do this. It may be in your best interest to hold her back in first grade.

What school does she go to that starts first grade in July?
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Lilbit- I agree, too much is expected too early. I do not think kids have changed much in the past 20 years- just the expectations. And we wonder why there is burn out and behavior issues at school. BUT, since you can not change the expectations- work very hard to help your child catch up or repeat kindy now or 1st grade next year. Whatever remedy you choose-do it early. And yes, there are those of us in year around school that are already back in the classroom-ugh!!!!!

Good luck!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I don't think your child is behind. It was least 4 months into my daughters1st grade that they started doing spelling tests. BUT, they were doing spelling tests on words/letters that they have been already learning about. Maybe her kindergarten teacher could have prepared her better, or maybe the first grade teacher is a lil over confident about her students? I don't know. I DONT think your daughter is not behind at all. Give her a few more months before deciding that. My daughter was not expected to write sentences by her first week of first grade.....that's what she just learned throughout her first grade year & is now going to second grade. My daughter goes to a fantastic school too. Maybe her new teacher is going to be a tough one.......some teachers just arent the best. We all deal w/ one at some point in our child's life.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think that you may want to look into having her repeat kindergarten she sounds like she is being pushed into first grade and shes not ready for it.
    Ya what school starts this early! It's July?
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• So if she "didn't get not one right" that means she did get one right!!

If she just started, then this may have been a test to see where she is in the class. What her abilities are. It's the first one.

They are supposed to know a lot of sight words from Kindergarten. If they can read them, that means they can spell them. In kindergarten they do learn to write sentences, so she should be able to do this a little bit at least. What did her kindergarten teacher say about her before she passed her to the next grade?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It sounds like the test they gave her was an assessment to see how well she knows her spelling patterns. The problem is that if she can't spell any of the words, she is probably also having alot of trouble reading them. Did you transfer schools? Why didn't these issues come up last year?

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• In my area, kids learn to read in first grade. I remember my kids learning to read in first grade. WHy do they expect your kid to read in kinderarten? This sounds strange. A spelling test with 25 words? Hmmmm....
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• IMO, why have her struggle. She is still young. I would hold her back. My girls were summer babies and we decided to start them 1 year later. My Now 3rd grader is the best student in class. I have the other going into kindergarten this year. I really don't think she would have been ready to go last year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• In my area, 1st graders need to know how to read and spell by sound. Reading is taught in Kindergarten now as is spelling by sound. There are site or wall words that kids learn in Kindergarten, these are words that cannot be sounded out and just have to be memorized. I would get her tutoring so she doesn't fall behind. It may be too late to have her held back, but you can call the school office and ask.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• The school is expecting too much, IMO. Reading is a skill kids are supposed to learn to master by the END of first grade, at least in my area. Spelling and reading are both developmental skills and kids cannot be pushed to learn early.

Waldorf schools don't teach reading until age seven. Ditto spelling.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2009