Does your 15-month old toddler wake up in the middle of the night?

My 15-month old daughter has been waking up around 2am at least twice a week for the last few weeks. She usually wakes up because of a wet diaper, but after I change it she is wide awake and ready to play. I've been staying up with her from 2 to 5am and couldn't get her to sleep. It's so frustrating and makes me feel like I'm a bad mother and that I must've done something wrong during the day to provoke that kind of habit. She then gets hungry and I end up giving her milk and snacks at 3 am! Help!

petitmom81

Asked by petitmom81 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son would wake up and want a snack at night, so I started giving him heavier starchier foods as a snack before bed. Also protein takes longer to digest, so I would give him some kind of meat or cheese with his nighttime snack and milk to drink. It kept his belly full and he slept through the night much better.
    JavaJenny

Answer by JavaJenny at 3:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• We are going through this.. If shes insistent on having a drink I will give her one but other than that I have been trying not to get her out of her bed. These little ones are smart.. they know what works to get our attention. I have also been cutting her nap 15-30 mins short. sometimes that helps but sometimes we have those bad nights and yes the older she gets.. the worse it gets! Good Luck.. I guess I have no advice but just to put your foot down..thats what I am trying to do right now
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I had to go up a size at night with his diapers so he didn't leak through them - he didn't wake from being wet but he leaked all over -but of course she will want to play with you - it will wake her up enough to have to get her diaper changed for her to think its play time. I would just get her a different night time diaper and if she still wakes up, don't go to her - you don't want it to turn into habit, which it could be already but just don't go to her if she does wake up if you get a different diaper. sleep for them is so important at this age. My son wakes from teething still and If i DO go to him, it makes him wake up, after he gets releif and makes it so much harder for him to go to bed so I don't go to him at all. although I have done the CIO since 8 months old - it was a HAVE to!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My son wakes up occasionally but I just cuddle for a couple of minutes and then put him back to bed. Unless his diaper is leaking I leave it for morning. You could try a fan too, that helped him sleep better at night. He likes the constant noise.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 10:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Thanks, guys, those are all helpful ideas.
    petitmom81

Answer by petitmom81 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2009