Confused new mommy...help?!

How do you feel about using a pacifier?

konnorsmommy09

Asked by konnorsmommy09 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We used binkies and they worked like a charm. But no it's hell trying to get DS off of them! Just a warning. Sometimes it's a B*tch to get them to kick the habbit.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Both of my kids used them. And they were both weaned from them at 13 months. Some babies like them and some don't. It depends on your child need to suck.
    Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think that it's your own personally decision. Using a pacifier cuts down on the risk of SIDS by 70% i have used one with my DD and we are in the weaning part as we speak and it's going very well. Also using a fan in there bedroom cuts down the risk of SIDS.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My 1st child was a pacifier baby and my 2nd was not. I must say it was sooo much easierr without the pacifier. Whenever my 1st would drop his during the night he would just scream and scream until it was put back in. Some nights I would be up and down at least 10 x's. I would say that if the child doesn't take to it, don't push the issue.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 9:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Hi. I don't mind a pacifier in infants because I feel like it comforts some babies as long as it isn't used in the place of milk. I used them with my three babies and have no problems from them. They all ended up dropping them on their own before they were 1 and I nursed them all a year each successfully. There was no nipple confusion. I don't really like to see them in my baby photos now (babies mouths are much cuter!) or in older kids for some strange reason but I think if babies can soothe themselves it is a good thing. Babies like to suckle. Hope that helps! Best wishes!
    RCAbmom

Answer by RCAbmom at 9:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with a binky. However, if the child is two- it needs to be gone. My son is 15 months and only allow it nap time/bed time. And most of the time he throws it on the floor. If he does that, he doesn't get it back.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with them. I used them with two of my children only when they went down to bed. I took it away when they turned one. My other one preferred his thumb.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My daughter only wants it at bedtime but for the rest of the day if I try and give it to her she screams and won't take it>.< I am breastfeeding and she doesn't confuse the two either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I only had one of my own children take one, but he loved it, it's a great soother for them...and mom ! I've had several grandchildren use them too. I would recommend trying it, if they'll take it great if not no big deal. None of mine were off it though until between 2-3 years old. My son took the Nuk brand until he was 3...his teeth are now perfectly straight! He has the best teeth of all my kids!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My DS will take it, but he can't keep it in his mouth for some reason. He ends up pushing it out with his tongue when he swallows and since I bought them for convenience so that I wouldn't have to hold something to his mouth so that he'd be soothed (don't get it twisted, I fed him when he was hungry but when he just wants to suck on something I thought the pacifiers would work). We used Soothies in the beginning but now not even those work.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 10, 2009