Did you have an epidural during childbirth and why?

Do you think there are some people who simply feel pain more than others? Personally, I didn't think the contractions on any three of my births were that awful, and I question whether women get epidurals out of fear of the pain or if they were actually in so much pain they just couldn't stand it.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:28 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It's hard to measure pain because I'm sure we all feel it differently. That said I do believe that women make childbirth more painful that it would be if they did not fear it. When our bodies tense and fight against the contraction it makes it more painful that if we relax and welcome them. So yes I think women get epidurals because of the fear of pain because that fear is actually what makes it painful.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• With my 1st, I got an epidural because my son's heart rate was dropping with every contraction and the Dr wanted to take the stress off him. I had been in labor bout 13 hrs when I got it. With my next 2, maybe you're right, some feel pain more then others because I was determined to go without an epidural but round the 18th hr I couldn't take it anymore! All labors aren't the same though. Some women might have an easy labor, some might not. At least when I pushed him out, I was coherant and it didn't affect my pushing at all. But if I have another I'm going to go without it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• The first two I was induced and had the epidural before I ever felt a contraction. Yes, it was out of fear. The next pregnancy was twins. They tried for 24 hours to stop contractions (I felt EVERY ONE) and once they decided they could not stop they decided to let me just have them and then transferred to a hospital an hour away. I had not eaten or had anything to drink in 2 days and was not allowed to have anything for the pain until I arrived at the hospital they were transferring me to. Once I got there I was at 10 and ready to go. I didn't think they would give me an epidural and somebody even mentioned that I was to far along, but they did! Thank God because I was in some serious pain. I ripped the seat in the back of the ambulance. I had the twins about 15 minutes after I finally got the epidural.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I was induced so I got the epidural just about as soon as I got there. Yes I was terrified of the pain. I still felt pain though because the epidural didn't work completely. But I wouldn't have changed it one bit. I had a wonderful Labor and Delivery!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• no! I was more afraid of that needle than anything!
    My contractions were definately painful, but they weren't anything I couldn't handle...it also helped that I was in labor for less than 4 hours (first contraction to him being born).
    I was determined to have a drugfree childbirth, and I'm so happy and thankful I got that! It was the single most BEAUTIFUL and EMPOWERING experience of my entire life! And I literally can't wait to experience that again!

I do not, however, look down on ANY woman for having drugs, and I don't think I'm any better just because I didn't have the drugs. Labor is extremely painful...and some women just don't have high thresholds for pain.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Yes, I did with both of my deliveries. First time around, I was definitely scared to death of the pain. I didn't know what to expect, and my contractions weren't even that bad when I got it. However, towards the end when it came time to push, it started to hurt again but that was really just pressure. Second time, I had really intense contractions which I think was due to my induction. I also had an extremely large baby and my body was trying it's hardest to push her down but she was too big to fit. I'm very thankful I got the epidural that time because I wound up with an emergency c-section. I'm pregnant again and I will get the epidural because I'm most likely going to have to have another c/s since my child will be born only 13 months after my 2nd.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Well I had epidurals because I absolutely HATE pain. My first child, I had been having contractions for 24 hours before I got my Epi. With my daughter, I was 7 cm when I got my Epi, and once I got the epi I went from 7-10cm in about 1.5 hours
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Thanks everyone for the great answers! I never knew it was used in so many instances for serious issues with labor and delivery.

I was just wondering how it feels. Like does your whole body go numb from the waist down, how long does it last and can you feel yourself pushing or anything? I was always scared of not being able to feel and the thought of 'what if something goes wrong and I'm paralyzed forever'.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Yes you get numb from the waist down. I don't know about anyone else but I could still feel the contractions but they just weren't as painful. I was able to push my son out in about 5 minutes so it wasn't like I couldn't feel anything at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I had an epidural with the 1st-- I was in labor for over a day and was in alot of pain. I hated the epidural-- took many tries for them to get it right and then I ended up with a spinal headache that lasted for 7 DAYS!
    My 2nd and 3rd I had spinals done- no problems.
    FYI- all 3 of mine were c-sections--- so going without anything was NOT an option!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:46 AM on Jul. 10, 2009