co-sleeping

my baby is 6 and a half months I want to move him to his own bed. I just don' know how to do it b/c he also takes naps in my bed. I hear mixed reviews. Some say don't worry about it...where as my mother says "he will be in your bed forever get him out now"

PLEASE HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you ever met a college age man who was STILL sleeping in his mothers bed? Heck, even a high school kid? I haven't. If you REALLY want to get him to sleep in his own bed, what about moving his crib into your room and placing him in it for naps, just to start? Then after he gets the naps down try for night, or even part of the night.
    I don't know if your breastfeeding or not, but for me, bedsharing is the ONLY way I get any sleep. She nurses all night long.
    Just keep in mind that human babies are born with their brains only 1/4 of the size that it will be in adulthood, which makes them the most dependent mammal babies on the planet! People seem to forget this or just not know it. He will move out of your bed eventually. Follow your gut and you'll probably be led right.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I co-slept with all three of my boys. With the first I didn't push him out soon enough. He was two and it took forever to get him into his own bed. With the second, I got pregnant when he was 9months so we started transitioning him to his own bed when he was 15 months. It went pretty smoothly, we did have some nights of crying though. With the third, I stated putting him in his own bed at 11 months, and there were no problems at all.
    If you want to put him in his bed do it, ut if you are only doing it because others are telling you to then do what you think is best.
    As for how to get him ready for the transfer...I started by moving him away from my body gradually in my bed. The first week I moved his head away and then when he was comfy sleeping that way, the next week I moved his body away from me, but his feet were still touching me. each week I moved him a bit farther away, until he was sleeping alone, but on my bed.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Then once he was used to sleeping on his own, I slowly started to move him to his bed. Once he would fall completely asleep I moved him to his crib. Then I would cuddle him to sleep and put him in his crib, then less cuddles, and I would put him in bed while he was more awake.
    The key is to go slowly and make it an easy transition.
    Good Luck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My girlfriend is giong through this with her 15 month old - being he co slept since birth, what she's done is put his toddler bed on the floor next to her bed and lay him down there. they are only on week 1 but it seems that each night he will sleep by himself on the bed longer and longer - she still brings him up with her when he does wake up and call for her - but as soon as he gets that down she will put him in his own room.... not suer.. just a suggestion.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I assure you, you will not have to kick your teen out of bed to take his driver's ed class. We co-slept with our first until he was 2.5 and I needed my pregnancy rest; my second until she was three.

I let my dh take over the bed time routine to accomplish this.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My oldest slept with us until he was 5 and went to his own bed just fine. Our second is 18 months and we will get him a toddler bed when he is ready and put it next to ours and slowly transition him into it.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• If you dont want to cosleep anymore, put him in his crib for naps in the day. He'll get the hang of it.
    I don't blame you if you don't want to do it anymore, I can't get a good sleep with dd in bed with us. She's a wiggly sleeper and such a little furnace.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think you should do what you feel is best but personally, I never let my baby sleep with me and my husband at night. I let him nap with me off and on. But when it comes to bed time at night the baby should be in his or her crib. That way they know where they are supposed to sleep. It is also safer. Just incase you would accidently roll over on your baby in the middle of the night or just so that you can have your privacy is most of it.
    lilmomma998

Answer by lilmomma998 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I co-slept with my baby until she was about 20 months old... she sleeps every night in her bed just fine now.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009