Gender "appropriate" Toys.

Does it really matter if a boy has a hello kitty watch or a girl has a Tonka dump truck?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Let kids play with any toy they want..it does not mean they are going to turn out guy because of it..

Answer by louise2 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• no i think boys should have the kitchen set and the girls the truck and the tools
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 10:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I don't think so. As long as I think it's age appropriate I'll let DD play with whatever she wants. If she was a boy, we'd do the same thing. ALL CHILDREN need tea parties, not just little girls!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• There is no such thing as a gender specific toy. They just eventually grow older and start having preferences. My son played with dolls until he was almost 3. He also played wit trucks and cars. My Daughter is 18 months she preferred a ball or car over a doll right now but I know that will change to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Ive answered this question so many times, I cant even count anymore....Um, no. Theres no such thing as gender appropriate toys...They are just toys and available for whomever to play with at any time. My children are allowed to play with whatever they want. Being that I have both boys and girls, my kids have access to all sorts of things. Bratz dolls, transformers, Wii, gamecubes, trucks, blocks,.....we have it all. My boys dont particularly LIKE to dress up like girls or play with purses, but Ive never discouraged it. I simply dont care.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I feel that kids should be allowed to play with whatever toy they want. My youngest son likes to play with the fisher price little people house--- he puts his hot wheel cars in it-lol. Both my 2nd and 3rd sons had kitchen centers. My 3rd does not really play with it much- mostly stores his cars in it. My 2nd loved his kitchen, and would play with it for hours.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• they NEED cross over toys...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My 5 yo daughter has a big yellow tonka truck, little airplanes, about 20 matchbox cars, some small little dinosaurs. She loves to go out and roll in the grass, play in mud puddles, run around in the rain. Should I make her stop just because she's a girl and these are "boy" toys and she is doing "boyish" activities? No, this is her personality. I'm not going to take away her creativity and make her who I want her to be.
    usafwife314

Answer by usafwife314 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My boys have "baby dolls". I don't see a problem with it. They are boy dolls, but they are still babies. When they go to my SIL's house to play with their girl cousin they play with her kitchen, dolls and sometimes dress-up stuff. It's funny to see them with a tutu on. LOL!! It's all pretend play. It's not going to make them gay. I just wish my SIL would get "boy" toys for her daughter...everything is pink, princess and puppies...oh well, it's her child, not mine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My sons had baby dolls, Barbie, My Little Pony, etc. They also have Tonka trucks. They play with what the like. I have no problem with that.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2009