Has anyone else had Gerber Life Insurance reject your Child for a policy because they have ADHD?

I recently tried to get a policy for my 8 year old Granddaughter and was REJECTED due to her ADHD. She is taking Vyvance (spelling?). They said she was denied a policy based on information from her Doctor. She perfectly healthy otherwise. I had policies for my other 4 grandchildren with Gerber. I have since cancelled those policies and goth al 5 polices with Globe Life.

grandmaangel

Asked by grandmaangel at 11:04 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• They actually said SPECIFICALLY it was because of the ADHD? That's nuts.

Now, if they said it was due to information from the doctor, I'd have the mom find out what info that was! My thinking is it might be the medication she's on. Depends on the side effects, etc of it.
    Anonymous

• My son was rejected because he has Down syndrome. He has ZERO health problems. The rejection letter stated they were unabled to provide coverage because those with Down syndrome tend to have many health problems.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 4:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It doubt it is the medication, my son is on Vyvanse and it has less side affects than any of the other meds for ADHD. I would find out what the doctor said for Gerber to deny a policy. I have never heard of being denied because of ADHD, you can't die from ADHD. I think there is something else going on. I would have cancelled all the other policies too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• We had a similar experience. My son isn't ADHD, but he is on the autism spectrum (PDD-NOS). Doesn't affect his overall health or lifespan in the least and he doesn't take any medication, but he was denied for life insurance several times, even through my group plan at work. Makes no sense to me...
    nathansmom0400

Answer by nathansmom0400 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2009