Why do some parents get mad when celebrities do things not appropriate for their kids to look up to?

Like Brittney Spears or Miley Cyrus. They never asked to be role models. They are just living their own life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Very good question. Our kids shouldn't be looking up to celebreties anyway.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Whether they asked to be role models or not, they know damn well that they are. Especially Miley Cyrus. So when they do/say stupid things that set a bad example for the kids that look up to them, it is just the ignorance that pisses everyone off. If you know you are a role model to young kids, I just think the POLITE thing to do would be to make sure you are setting as good of an example for them as you possible can. I mean when your fans have made you as filthy rich and famous as you are, I just think its the least they can do. If you don't like being a role model than get out of the situation that puts you as being one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Agree with tyfry. When a celeb screws up my first thought isn't "Great now my kid is going to think it's ok!" My son doesn't look up to celebs and I'm going to work hard to keep it that way!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Anon:13. You are right when it comes to people like Brittany Spears or Paris Hilton, etc. They are adults and ought to act like responsible role models. However Miley Cyrus is still a child herself and shouldn't have to act like an adult before she is one. She can and probably will make a few mistakes in the process and this is perfectly natural. These mistakes shouldn't be publicized, both for her own sake and to prevent copying from her fans, but with the press being what they are, she won't be afforded the privacy to grow up in peace.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Personally and this is not intended to offend but I know it will. A lot of parents I believe get upset because they leave up to famous people to teach their children moral instead of doing it them selves. They use TV as a baby sitter and it's not right. A lot of them also want to have some one to blame when their kids do some thing wrong because heaven forbid it's their fault. Example Kid Plays chicken with car going 60 miles an hour kid gets hurt parents blame jack ass. If your is not smart enough to know that is a dumb idea that is your own damn fault. My 3 yr old know that is a dumb idea. You are your child biggest role model so if your child is following celebrities look at what you have taught them and what you should change and not for some one to blame.

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think celebrities should act more mature.. but it's not up to them to set the example it's the parents.

I'll never forget my mom had a high school friend move back to town, and she came to visit.. this woman was sooo burned out (I was around 12).. I'll never forget my mom saying to me when her old friend finally left, "and this is why you should never to meth".. well I did a lot of things, but never touched meth. lol.

in other words.. if a celebrity does something stupid, it's up to us as parents to explain to our children why that was so bad.. and why it reflects bad on the celebrity. Ex.. Britney Spears.. if you explain why she dresses like trash and why it's BAD.. it's a far better example, than just turning off the tub, or allowing them to continue to watch without talking about it with your kids.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• hot-mama86 hit the nail on the head! Parents wouldn't have to worry so much about how a celebrity acts if they took the time to raise their child right and knowing the difference in what's right or wrong. I'm not a perfect parent but I'm not going to expect a celeb who has millions of dollars and no idea who I am to be a role model for my child. I want my childs role models to be his parents and so far so good, he doesn't even pay attention to celebs right now. His dad is his role model right now and he is trying to follow in his footsteps, so we are going to work hard to keep it that way.
    Anonymous

• The ones that our kids should be looking up to is us the parents. Celebrities are human beings & they make mistakes just like anyone else. I think that we place entirely 2 much pressure on celebs 2 be role models for our children when they shouldn't have 2 b/c that's our job.
    Magnolia96

Answer by Magnolia96 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2009