I felt so bad yesterday. A coworker showed me a picture of her newborn.. and I said he is absolutely adorable!!! She said "I HAD A GIRL!!" The baby was wearing blue in the pic.. I have always thought that was okay to assume if the baby is in blue or pink- I was wrong! lol did you ever do anything like this?

I still feel bad I used to hate when people did that about my son. Grrr.

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Don't feel bad. Especially with newborns its really hard to tell! If she had her in blue than I'm sure most people would have automatically assumed she was a boy. I know thats what I would have thought!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I did that to a girl I was friends with awhile ago and ran into her one day. She is Australian and she showed me a pic of her baby who was wearing blue and said how she loved her bubby. So I said that he is adorable and she said it was a girl. If you are going to have your girl in blue and call her bubby then don't be surprised when people think she is a boy. She wasn't mad but I was embarrassed.

I think it is worse when you have a girl dressed all in pink with a head band on and people still call them a boy.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It is really hard to tell for the first year. I would never be offended if somebody called my boy a girl. Who cares? The baby sure doesn't at that age.
    One time I was on the Amtrack and there was a little boy with long hair, pulled back in a ponytail with his ears pierced. He was really defensive about looking like a girl...he did look like a girl at first glance. He had a reason though.
    I wouldn't feel bad about it, if she is butt hurt about it it is her problem.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I started a new job and my bosses wife came in with their new baby. I said "He looks just like his father!" and she said rather snottily "I don't know how that could be, he's adopted." How the heck was I supposed to know that?!

I didn't care if people thought my kids were girls or boys. Babies don't look like any particular gender, IMO.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't feel bad, especially since it is really hard to tell at that age. Basically the only determining factor is the clothing.

Now I used to get mad when I would have my son all dressed in boy clothes (there was absolutely no mistaking them for girls clothing) and people would come up to me and tell me how beautiful my daughter was...

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 11:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• it happens alot. My 10 m old girl still gets called a boy sometimes and shes usually wearing pink or has pink blankets. i think her short hair is wat gets ppl. lol
    crystaleve29

Answer by crystaleve29 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I was at a store when my daughter was about 4 months old. She was wearing a pink dress, headband, booties, everything, and some lady comes up and says, "Oh I think little red-haired boys like yours are sooo cute!" I was like, "umm, oh yes, thank you..." What else was there to say?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:37 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I had a girl and when she was an infant even when she was dressed all in pink people would say "what a beautiful boy"
    after a few of these ...I would just say thank you

boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Before my dd was a year old, she wore lots of pink, and people STILL asked me if it was a boy or a girl!!!!! Even when she has bows in her hair!!!

Don't feel bad.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:46 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I always ask if the baby is a girl/boy now, after several of my friends have actually gotten mad when I mistook the gender of the baby! But really, before a yr old it IS very hard to tell! Unless they are dressed all in pink with a bow, or all in blue with a boy-theme, then how are we supposed to know? My cousin dressed her girl in her brother's hand-me-downs and then used to get REALLY mad when people would tell her what a pretty boy she had. I think that is a little odd, considering she was 7 months old and wearing a shirt with a truck on it!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:53 AM on Jul. 10, 2009