Boyfriend/Girlfriend visits-Opinions please

I'd like your opinions on what behavior is acceptable to you ladies when teens visit in your home. I admit to being a prude, I admit to being old-fashioned.

My 16 y.o. son has a 16 y.o. girlfriend who is coming over to visit tomorrow. I don't mind them sitting next to one another; I don't mind them holding hands, don't mind an arm around the shoulder. They can even lay on the floor to watch TV. I do have a problem with laying in one another's lap; kissing and hugging-(I'm not talking about a quick peck or friendly hug), sitting on laps, full body contact, you get the picture.

Thanks ladies.

mama_k228

Asked by mama_k228 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I fully agree with you. We have a 14 year old and we don't even allow the terminology of boyfriend/girlfriend. There is no holding hands, no arms around each other, no kissing, etc. NO girls are allowed over at the house, ever.

Your rules are not strict. Your son should know to respect them. Sitting next to each other, laying on the floor to watch tv, ok but only when supervised. No doors closed, etc.

Stick to your guns. Manners and common respect don't cost anything and while they are in your home, they need to obey the rules.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My mom would never aloww that and she never did with me and my husband when he used to visit me. and she had to go home by 9 on school nights and other nights until my parents went to bed.
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 11:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I am 26 years old and I would never have considered sitting in my bf's lap while at his parents. I don't even kiss my husband (except for a peck on the cheek) when we are at the in-laws! Its not prudish or old-fashioned to me; instead its a sign of respect to the parents.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Making out in company is not polite whatever the age; and they should always be in company!
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Well, we know that most likely at 16 they are having full body contact. However, they should have enough respect for you not to do it in your presence. In anyone's presence, that is private.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 11:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I toltally agree with you and I also do not allow my DD to bring her BF into her room or into any other non-public part of the house. It's all about respect!
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 12:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My teenagers are not allowed to have a boys or girls in their room. They can sit in the living room watching tv or a movie. Hugging and hand holding and arm around each other is ok. Kissing is on the border....
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think that every parent does what feel's right for them in thier home. I ask that "touching" be respectfull when in my house but not so much because of me, but because I still have little ones at home. Quick kissing os ok...no harm there, but full blown making out would not be acceptable. I think you have very resonable rules.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Thanks ladies! I'm glad to know there are some like minded-moms like me! LOL, Hopefully our sons/daughters can date each other--at least we'll be on the same page with that!

She visited a few weeks ago. I was in the den (probably on CM) and when I came out gf was sitting on his lap, with her back to him. They didn't budge, didn't flinch, nothing. We we all know he was as hard as a rock under there. All I could say in a not so nice tone was, "Sit on the couch!" I was shocked, I would never have OPENLY done that when I was that age. The rest of the visit I was jokingly sitting in between them off and on to get the message across. Funny, when DH and her dad came in, kids acted like they barely knew each other!! But I brought the subject up in front of the dads too, so nobody is in the dark. I'll be having a reminder conversation with dear son before gf gets here. They are good kids but so was I & I know what I did.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• And I've got a younger teen daughter at home too, so I don't want her getting any ideas about what will be happening when her time comes.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2009