Has anyone had a Quad Screen that came back abnormal? I was told yesterday that I have an increased risk of Trisomy 18. My level was 93 and they like it to be 100. Now I'm waiting for an appointment with a genetic counseler and beyond freaked out. Any advice would be helpful

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Those tests often come back with inaccurate results. The counselor is going to try and talk you into having an amniocentesis. It's up to you... if you are sure you'd keep the baby no matter what, don't do it. There's a risk that the amnio could make you lose the baby. Plus, Your baby could very likely come out perfectly healthy!

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My Quad Screen came back abnormal. I was told that I had a chance of having a baby with Down Syndrome. I was given the option of having an amnio done, but that can cause premature labor, so I opted not to have it. I also opted not to talk to a genetic counselor. We decided just to wait and see. Almost everybody I talked to told me that their test also came back abnormal and their babies were fine. I didn't have to wait long for my results. I delivered my daughter at 26 weeks. She's now a happy, healthy two year old. Even though I'm at the age where I should have the Quad Screen done, I will not go through it with any future pregnancies. It's not going to change my decision to have the baby, and it's just not worth the stress.

Answer by lovinmystar at 2:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Mine came back abnormal and the doctor told me there was a 10% chance the baby would have Downs syndrome. Turns out, they had miscalculated my conception/due date( which I had TRIED to tell them that all along, but what do I know, I'm only the patient right?) so I had the test too early and it threw off the results. There is a huge margin of error for these tests, and personally I think the main reason for them is to make pregnant women crazy!! If I had to do it over again, I NEVER would have gotten the test done to begin with. All it did was cause me unneeded stress and anxiety. What pregnant woman needs that? They will probably try and talk you into an amnio, I didn't have one because of the risk of miscarriage and you can't change the results anyway.

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Yes, twice which is why I always refuse that test.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Mine just came back 1 out of 91 for T18 and I am freaking! My Level 3 u/s is this Wed. Oh it can;t get here fast enough

Answer by Linsey03 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 10, 2008