Should I elaborate or did I give the right response? *worried*

My 3 year old dd took a bath with her 3 year old friend/cousin that's a boy. I was babysitting him yesterday and was ready for them to wind down and get ready for bed. I was bathing my dd and asked him if he was ready for his bath; he said yes and stripped down, went to the potty and urinated, he then jumped in and I didn't think anything of it at the time. They bathed, played, laughed, and were in the tub for no more than 10 to 15 minutes. Neither of them said any words about the other's genitalia. That night, at home, after dd is in bed; she called me into her room and asked me why she didn't have what he had (penis), I was surprised and couldn't think of what to say so I didn't really say much, I just listened to her describe what she saw and how she felt about it. I did tell her boys have a penis and girls have a vagina. I've told her that before that night. I'm not sure if I should go to her today and say anything else.

myfirstloves

Asked by myfirstloves at 11:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter is 3 and she asks about her little brother's private. I told her they were different because she was a girl and he was a boy. Three year old's need very little explanation. What you said was perfect.
    Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• what you said was fine. 3 yr olds can't process more than that. Boys have a penis. Girls have a vagina. End of toddler discussion.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:53 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Leave it alone now. Unless she asks, you gave her enough information, which is totally age appropriate.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I really hate it when people say a kid "can't process more than that". You don't have a clue what any kid can process other than your own kid.

What else is there to say? She asked a question and you answered it. What else would you say?

I would make sure you tell the mother what happened in case he asks her. And hope she's agreeable to them bathing together if you didn't have permission to do it.

Personally, I'd be ticked...but that's ME.
    Anonymous