Epidurals or Natural Birth?

Ok, so I was in my pregnancy class this week, and the discussion centered around who was having what type of birth. I said I wanted the epidural bc I am a wimp about pain, so I figured I'd go ahead and plan to have the epidural. I was the only one there who wanted it, and the other mothers started saying I "Didn't care about my child bc I wanted to drug him just to save myself a little pain." I am a FTM but I never considered the epidural to be 'drugging my child'. Now I'm at a loss.. I want to be a good mother but if the pain is bad should I just go with it? What are your thoughts on this??

Emuu

Asked by Emuu at 12:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sometimes it's healthier to get it. With my first one I said no for so long that I started to reverse from being so tense. I was given a choice of epi or c-sec which i would have had to get one anyways.

If I were you I'd go as long as you can without it and then get one. Next time you see that woman ask her if she would rather remember her birthing experience as wonderful or whithering in pain?
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think that it is a personal choice, and you should speak with your doctor about it. There are pros and cons to all of it.

personally I took drugs only to take the edge off of the contractions, and was on nothing when it was time to push. So you don't have to have drugs the whole time, ya know? It doesn't have to be so black and white, there IS a gray area there.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• When I had my first I didn't want to have a epidural just cause the thought freaked me out but I was induced and contractions came on too strong before they could get the meds turned down and we didn't know that my daughters cord was around her neck so every contraction I had that was too hard was clamping her cord shut and her heart rate dropped while mine was racing. So while I was not exactly able to speak my husband signed papers for the epidural, I didn't even care when I got it and then I napped for an hour and delivered a very very healthy and very very LOUD baby girl! To make a long story short if I didn't have the epidural we could had some serious complications and I think if it will help you focus on delivering a baby without all the distractions of pain go for it.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I'm pretty sure some of those mothers will be putting a foot in their mouth for those comments. I was going to go natural, but when I started puking from the contractions (stupid Pitocin made them horrible), it put my daughter into distress. The epidural did wonders. The next one that I have, I'll try once again for no drugs, but I'll do whatever it takes to get us both through!
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• with my first I was one of those that was all about natural. Then I started throwing up from the pain and went for the epidural.

the thing with the epidural is that you can control how much or how little medications you get. I had it at a low setting - I felt the pressure and a bit of the pain, but the major pain was controlled. I felt like I had a lot more control and ease than before. I knew what was happening and was a LOT more level headed and able to follow the directions of the nurses and doctor - I was starting to lose control and panic.

#2 and #3 I let them know that as soon as things were going I wanted to get it. it was much easier on me and dh.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It's a personal choice, I had epi's with both kids and neither ONE of them came out drugged, they were both healthy, so tell those other moms to wash the sand out of their vaginas and to keep their self righteousness to themselves
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I forgot to mention that i had it with all 3 and all came out perfectly healthy and nursed like champs.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I would do a lot of research on natural birth -start with the movie/documentary of Business of Being Born. Just b/c the epidural did not hurt this baby or that baby does not mean it is good for you or the baby. I had one-induced with pitocin. I wish I had this site when I was PG. So much knowledge here that I was so ignorant about. My next birth will be in a birth center or at home with a midwife and doula. I also want a birth pool. So many things I did not know. BTW my son did nurse an hour after I was stiched up. I had no problems nurses and I guess he was "fine". But who really knows how it affected his brain or body.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Labor and delivery is diffferent for every pregnancy. It is your choice on how you want to do it. There are many options. I bet you anything, some of those you got critisized by, get pain meds when it comes down to it. I had to completely natural births. But mine only lasted about 5-6 hours each, with strong (painful) contractions only torwards the very end, say like an hour each. So i had it easy. Now if my contractions lasted for wo days, i probably would have got something for the pain. Just keep in mind, that in my opinion, the contractions are the painful part, once you start pushing it eases the pain. The its all over and you have a beautiful baby. Make your own decision, whatever you pick it doesn't make you a bad mother. Good Luck....and Congrats :D
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Alot of those moms will be yelling for meds too, so dont worry to much about them. You are not a bad mom for getting an epi or demerol to take the edge off the contractions. The worst drug for baby is statol but nothing major. I was natural for my first, second was induced and I was yelling for an epi, 3rd was very painful b/c of the postion he was coming out in, and yes I had an epi with him too but it didnt take fully and was feeling every contraction in my side, almost like a knife was stabbing me. If you want meds or an epi go for it, if you want to go natural just try it..Either way you will love your baby the same.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2009