Does the first amendment allow freedom of speech for Christians as well?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/07/10/pkg.fl.islam.is.devil.sign.wcjb

A Florida church is under fire for posting a sign that reads "Islam is of the devil." WCJB reports

put all your religious ideas aside--does this church(no matter how much you don't agree with the message) have the right to speak their beliefs? I have seen anti Catholic tract cards. If we can voice our dis beliefs against one religion does the first amendment allow us to voice against a religion that is not Christian?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We see Christians being mistreated by Atheists

We see Christians being mistreated by Atheists

AMEN!!! AMEN!!! AMEN!!!

Anonymous

• Anonymous

• If the sign that says Islam is the devil should be removed should this sign be removed? It doesn't look like it is on private property to me.
    Anonymous

• I think ALL people have the right to say what they want, but that doesn't absolve people from "persecution" if they're politically incorrect comments cause some flak!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think it's pathetic to spread false information, regardless.
    Anonymous

• They have the right to post it, but the protesters also have the right to protest.
    And we must remember that just because we have the right to do something doesn't' make it right. For example, I have the right to say whatever I want about Muslims, blacks, or etc, but that doesn't mean that any sort of racist or bigoted comments are right.
    I hope that makes sense....
    In this case, they have the right to their sign, but those who disagree have the right to protest and to disagree. And just because the church has the right to the sign doesn't mean the sign is right.
    Speaking from facts and history, Islam is merely another branch of the Abrahamic religions - Muslims trace back through Ishmael to Abraham and follow Abraham's God - the same God Christians and Jews follow.
    So Islam is certainly not from the Devil, even if they have the right to say so. And I have the right to say other wise, as do the protesters.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• see if you say God loves you a slew of people will tell you how your comment is insulting. It is a no win situation for Christians. If they spread the love it insults.

I do not agree with this pastors sign, but I agree 100% with his right as an American to post it. Those that don't like it can just simply look the other way when driving in front of the church.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• i DON'T BELIEVE THEY HAVE THE RIGHT BECAUSE THERE LAWS AGAINST THAT KINDA STUF IT'S CALLED LIABLE. A REPORTER ISN'T ALOUD TO DO, i'M NOT ALOUD TO DO IT AND A CHURCH SHOULD NOT BE ALOUD TO DO. MY OPINION HAS TO DO WITH WHAT THE LAW SAYS. THE CONTITUTION WAS FARELY VAQUE SO OTHER LAWS WERE ADDED FOR CLARITY AND PROTECTION.

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• They can say whatever they want...it's their right. But don't come whining to me if somebody takes offense to what they have to say. I would have more respect for them if they stood up and gave their reasons WHY they think Islam is of the devil. If that's what they believe, then they should stand up for it...but they won't...they will retreat and hide and call 'Christian persecution'. Also, whoever made the decision to put the sign up had to have known the reaction it would get...they can't be THAT clueless, can they?
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2009