Where do you stand on children wearing plastic dress up type shoes.

My neighbours children often come round to play with my daughter but i constantly see them wearing plastic, very unpractical shoes. The type made of plastic with about 2inch heels. I don't just mean for playing in either i mean to wear in general. I often see them down the shops with them on. Whilst at my house today the youngest of the two girls (who is 3) feel over 3 times in 20 mins. I just think that its ridiculous to let them run around in them all the time and i'm not surprised they fall over constantly. Don't know why but it's proper winding me up. I have an artificial leg due to problems when i was born and am extra careful when it comes to my kids footwear (as you could expect). I just think its irresponsible. Its one thing for playing in them at home but a complete other wearing them as actual shoes. Does anyone agree?

KerryLou

Asked by KerryLou at 12:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• for normal wear as footwear....NO

around the house for dressup and play yeah...

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think you are extra sensitive due to your circumstances and that is understandable. I would think that considering yo have a legitimate reason to be overly concerned, you may want to tell the parent (if they are a friend) and admit you are a bit sensitive for obvious reasons. I am in education and I usually share my thoughts with friends from an educational stand point. I do it non-threatening and I also preface with " you know I am goofy about this kind of stuff, so tell me to shut up if you want" I have never had anyone get upset with me because of it.
    Anonymous

• they may not have any other shoes
    waytruthlife

Answer by waytruthlife at 1:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My daughter loves to dress up in that kind of stuff. She wears them around the house but I do put my foot down when we go out.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Thank you all for your responses. I do think maybe i am a little over sensertive due to my own things. It wouldn't even really of roiled me so much if she hadn't fell over so many times in such little time. I think each parent has the right to choose, and haven't said anything to their mom. As lets face it, it's not really any of my business. My daughter loves playing in dress up shoes and although it's not something i like i let her around the home, i mean kids got 2 be kids and it would be unfair for me to stop her for my personal reasons. Maybe i need to go make my self a coffee n leave it be.lol. I really appreciate u taking the time to answer. Sometimes it's just nice to vent .... and then have ppl who listen lol.

Thanks ladies xx
    KerryLou

Answer by KerryLou at 1:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It might be one of those things wear your child insists they are dressed beautifully when they want to go to the store in their dinosaur Halloween costume (been there) and it's no use fighting them or squashing their creativity as long as it's not dangerous.My nephew wore nothing but snow boots for a year straight (even with his dress clothes to church and through the summer)-you couldn't force or beg him out of them!But also another idea find out what is their favorite like barbie, princesses, etc. and at a girls shopping day or for their b-day party get them some tennie's from wal-mart (so your not breaking the bank on a neighbors kid) and let them pick a character of "their"choice out of some pre-selected shoes you have picked out (warning: don't let them shop the shoe section with you or they could be likely to want some Stiletto's!)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It's just a phase that some little girls go through. They won't be wearing them around forever, so I wouldn't stress over it.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2009