Should I have done this?

I am friends with a woman on Facebook. She is the cousin of my ex DH. We are not close at all--never were & now we only see each other a couple times a year. She has a 3 y.o. DD. Yesterday, she posted new pics. One pic showed her DD sliding down a Little Tykes type slide into a kiddie pool. The girl was naked & the pic was mid-slide so her legs were spread (to keep her balance). You could see her private parts quite clearly. I reported the pic to Facebook & it was removed (this friends status this morning said she was surprised over it). I did it only to protect this child. It seemed the sort of thing that child molesters would troll for. To me, this woman was not protecting her child by posting this pic & I felt the easiest way to handle it was to ask Facebook to review it. If the pic had been ok, Facebook would have not removed it. Did I do the right thing? What would you have done?

funnyface1204

Asked by funnyface1204 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I probably would have done the same thing. It's one thing for a parent to have a picture like that, but it's completely different when you post it online. I have a pic of my sons standing side by side, naked. They are turned away from the camera, and I took the pic because we had just come out of the pool, and you could see how tan they both were, except for their white little bottoms. That was a pic just for me, not something I would ever share with the rest of the world. I have not, nor will I ever, take any pictures of their penises. That would be totally unacceptable.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think you did the right thing!
    Just my opinion, I don't understand why the 3-year-old wasn't wearing a bathing suit to begin with!
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 12:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• nope i would have done the same, shame on her for putting that kind of picture up. Not to be rude, but wtf is wrong with her really? Not only that she put the picture up, but does that mean her kid was playing outside naked too? You did the right thing for sure.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i agree w/ you. i think you did the right thing.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 12:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Some people honestly do not understand the effect pictures like that may have. I do not think it is harmful to have pictures like that, but I would never post them on a public site where anyone could grab them. I have worked in several areas of law enforcement, and have seen numerous times where child molester's have stolen pictures off myspace or Facebook. Do you really want your child's picture to end up in those kinds of hands? I might've talked with the woman first, but if she did not see a problem with it, and it broke the rules about posting pics on Facebook (there for a reason btw!) then yes, I would have reported it too!
    Anonymous

• I think in the childs best interest, yes you did.
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think you did the right thing. I can understand a kid playing around naked if you live in a secluded place- so many kids do NOT like clothes, and sometimes you have to pick your battles. However, posting a picture that puts it all out there for ANYONE to see is just bad judgment on her part.
    Anonymous

• Yes you absolutely did the right thing. Does she not know how many perverts there are out there just waiting for pictures like that to pop up. That was very irresponsible of her. Children should never be outside without clothes on. You never know who might be taking pictures out there windows. That's how alot of the pictures are taken.

Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I've done the same thing.

but this friend had her naked kid coming out of the bathtub as her profile pic. I said to her..."did you realize that everyone can see your picture?' she thought that only friends could see it.

better safe than sorry I think.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• From the other pics in the series, they were at the grandparents house which is in a very quiet, secluded area. I'm not sure why the girl stripped--all the other pics were in her swimsuit.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2009